Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Searching for SSC to hire

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

Default Searching for SSC to hire

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

My gym, Feral Fitness DBA Feral CrossFit is on the prowl for a SSC. Stef mentioned the weekly report and your Q&A as a appropriate venues to post our interest in hiring. Below is a description of what we are looking for. If you or anyone else on the board has someone in mind, please put them in contact with us. Thanks!

We (Feral Fitness, DBA: Feral CrossFit) are looking to hire a Starting Strength Coach in upstate New York in early to mid 2015. Our gym is co-owned by Starting Strength Coaches. Applicants are expected to have at least 2 years of coaching experience with both a general and novice clientele and a commitment to strength training as a career. Applicants should feel comfortable handling the needs of a variety of clients ranging from intermediate level athletes to the infirm, injured, and elderly. Applicants should also be ready to handle organizing classes up to 15 persons in size. Finally, applicants should have a demonstrated ability for business operations.

The successful candidate, after a brief technical evaluation period and a demonstrated ability to recruit new clients, will have the option of obtaining an ownership percentage in the company; details to be discussed at interview. Ownership stakes are intended to incentivize personal emotional investment in the company and imply this position as a long term career move and not as a menial stepping stone job. Room for growth is available.

Inquire at feralcrossfit@gmail.com.

Good luck, boys. There is a shortage of people with the credential, and a strong demand.

Is there really a demand. If I become a SS coach I will get a job without starting my own gym? I understand the credibility of a SS coach compared to Crossfit coach but I don't know if the rest of the world does.

Quote Originally Posted by lifter285 View Post
    Is there really a demand. If I become a SS coach I will get a job without starting my own gym? I understand the credibility of a SS coach compared to Crossfit coach but I don't know if the rest of the world does.
    It would seem, based on the existence of threads like this one and a few similar ones that have popped up here in the recent past, that such a demand both exists and is growing, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by lifter285 View Post
    There is a demand now and it grows every month. I spend most of my weekends off coaching peoole who drive in from up to 3 hours away to be coached. I get busy enough that I pass work on to another SSC at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    There is a demand now and it grows every month. I spend most of my weekends off coaching peoole who drive in from up to 3 hours away to be coached. I get busy enough that I pass work on to another SSC at the gym.
    I think a wise move for SSC is to start forming relationships with primary care docs. We refer people to PT knowing it's bullshit but it's what the patient expects. Medicalizing this area, which is what Jordan seems to be a good job of doing, is a valuable niche and needs to be filled. You'd have to give the doc a lunch and teach them just like drug reps but there are good docs who are just ignorant of the possibilities of what strength training can do for health. Andy and Sully are going to help create this market with their upcoming book for seniors. So there are also whole new markets to move into, not just the crossfit hyper competitive weekend warrior.

If anyone gets an SSC, I will hire them on the spot, barring some kind of sociopathic behavior that makes you come across as incapable of talking to people.

Otherwise, if you have an SSC and want a job coaching clients, contact me.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I think a wise move for SSC is to start forming relationships with primary care docs. We refer people to PT knowing it's bullshit but it's what the patient expects. Medicalizing this area, which is what Jordan seems to be a good job of doing, is a valuable niche and needs to be filled.
    I see limited potential here, in the absence of the ability to bill insurance.

I think a wise move for SSC is to start forming relationships with primary care docs. We refer people to PT knowing it's bullshit but it's what the patient expects. Medicalizing this area, which is what Jordan seems to be a good job of doing, is a valuable niche and needs to be filled. You'd have to give the doc a lunch and teach them just like drug reps but there are good docs who are just ignorant of the possibilities of what strength training can do for health. Andy and Sully are going to help create this market with their upcoming book for seniors. So there are also whole new markets to move into, not just the crossfit hyper competitive weekend warrior.
    I have no doubt Jordan will succeed at this, he's a smart dude. As for the rest of what you say I don't have much faith. My wife is a PA and an SSC. She worked as a primary care PA and now in urgent care. The system seems to be a mess at this point.

The biggest market is 45 and up. Nearly everyone who contacts me is a 50 something educated professional looking to keep a high quality of life.

starting strength coach development program
    I think a wise move for SSC is to start forming relationships with primary care docs.
    It might be more beneficial to have relationships with sports massage therapists and sport-specific chiropractors. Partially because of what Rip said about billing, but also because that demographic may be more interested in strength training, either for performance improvement or injury prevention. At the very least, they might let you put contact information/cards out in their offices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast