starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've worked back up to 250 after I deloaded to 95 following Wolf helping me and me saying dumb things on this thread. http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=50451&page=1

Wanted to check to and make sure there were no glaring errors. https://vimeo.com/114298370

I didn't look through your old vids from the summer, Mike, but these look a lot better than I remember them looking then. Still a few things to work on, but the process of working your way back up and getting reasonably strong has done you well.

1. Stance looks just a touch narrow. Widen out an inch or two.
    2. Depth was borderline on some reps; not dealing with the depth issues we were in the summer, you've mostly got it down now. But just to be sure, think of hitting depth as about 1/2" deeper than you think it is.
    3. In the first couple reps, your feet move as you accelerate towards lockout. Feet should not move, at all, during the rep. Keep them solidly planted. If you absolutely need to adjust foot position during a set, do so between reps.

(Sorry about the side view. A trainer filmed my second set from a 45 degree angle. Said he had trouble seeing depth and he would be better able to tell from the side. I can post a link to that video instead.)

https://vimeo.com/114604137

1. You can't tell in this video, but my stance was wider, looks just outside of shoulder-width.
    2. Thought depth was a little better.
    3. I have recurring issue of shifting my feet after the first couple of reps to get more balanced. I need to learn how to step back into a balanced position the first time.

Last rep was the closest I've come to "grinding" one out. I am thinking of throwing a light day on Wednesday.

That's just the first beginning of a baby-grind. It's going to get slower and harder from here, but that's cool - you'll get stronger.

Hard to see depth because the depth markers are blocked by the rack, but it looks a touch high. Also some looseness at the bottom and some knee-slide, which is also causing the bar to get forward of mid-foot. Tighten up your descent and shove your knees out harder. Sometimes it's helpful to spend some time in the unweighted squat "teaching method" position, just below parallel with the elbows shoving knees out. Then let yourself drop down 6 inches lower. You'll immediately feel the transition from tightness and everything "on" to loose and some of the muscles not contributing as much. You're trying to replicate the conditions and position of the former.

Walking up stairs at the office, I could tell I hadn't recovered from Monday so I decided to add in a light day.

I thought my depth was borderline high on 1,3,and 4 and deep enough on 2 and 5. Foot movement issue reemerged on the first set, then I remembered to suppress the instinct to do that.

https://vimeo.com/114813463

Your comment looks about right. Try to keep the tightness that you do at borderline, when you go an inch or two deeper.

https://vimeo.com/115000449

I thought these were a little bit better today. (My apologies for the sweat pants making it hard to see depth. I didn't think about that until after I got to gym.)

Due to travel, I won't have access to a belt for Wednesday and Friday's workout next week. My plan was to do 270 on Monday, then 225 of Wednesday and Friday. (That's the weight I was at when I switched to belted squats a couple of weeks ago.) Should I repeat 270 the following Monday, or should I go ahead and do 275?

They do look better. Pretty good set of squats there. When you don't have your belt, just work your way up. The belted squatting will have made your abs, legs, and all the components of the system stronger - so you should be able to handle more than you could when you first put on the belt. But it may not be all the way up to the 270 you've gotten to. You'll just have to see, but don't artificially stop at 225 just because. I'd guess 245-250, but you may surprise yourself and be fine with heavier than that.

starting strength coach development program
    Cool, Thanks for all the help! I'll check back in if I have future questions.