starting strength gym

Thread: Not sure where to go from here

Default Not sure where to go from here

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coaches,

About a year ago I ran SS LP and went from 158 lbs to 180 lbs (at 5'6"), and hit a wall at around a 320x5x3 squat, 235x5x3, bench, 150x5x3 press, and 385x5x1 deadlift. At 180 lbs, I was easily 20% bodyfat and none of my jeans fit me and I wasn't particularly happy with carrying that much fat. Over the summer, i moronically cut about 20 lbs and suffered significant strength loss as a result. Over the last 6-7 weeks I ran a truncated SS progression beginning at a 255x5x3 squat. Today I just squatted 305x4x1 (couldn't get the 5th) and 2 back off sets. I gained about 5 lbs during those 6 weeks (from 158lbs to 163 lbs) and am around 15% bodyfat.

At this point, I am unsure of where to go. While I could run SS for a while longer, I don't have money for new jeans and I would like to stay under 20% if possible. Is it possible for me to gain weight on SS without gaining more than a waist size, or is that unrealistic? If this is unrealistic, would you recommend I transition to TM if I'm not willing to gain the weight requisite for continued LP (I am willing to gain weight, just not as much fat as I did during my first run of LP)?

I am 5'6", 20, 163 lbs-- my last 3x5 was a 290x5x3 squat (I ran the one heavy set + backoffs for 3 weeks afterwards), 210x5x3 bench, 350x5x1 deadlift, and 140x5x3 press. All my lifts are moving except for my squat. Thanks in advance.

Are you doing the light day in the middle of the week?

Yes, I added in the light day when I was around 275ish for 3x5. The 305x4 was at the point where every rep was damn slow. No sticking points, but slow as can be without stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Laidbackzack View Post
    At this point, I am unsure of where to go. While I could run SS for a while longer, I don't have money for new jeans and I would like to stay under 20% if possible. Is it possible for me to gain weight on SS without gaining more than a waist size, or is that unrealistic? If this is unrealistic, would you recommend I transition to TM if I'm not willing to gain the weight requisite for continued LP (I am willing to gain weight, just not as much fat as I did during my first run of LP)?
    Just a nobody here, but will chime in.

Why not move to advanced novice before moving to TM? I, personally, would want to milk all of the gains possible out of the LP before moving on.

You can run an Advanced Novice LP without gaining weight, especially where your lifts are at now. You can also gain weight without increasing waist size. You have to do it slowly and intelligently. I am 5' 11" and have put on 41 pounds in the last 19 months (178 to 219). I am wearing the same pants now as when I started. Levis 514 size 34. They are borderline too tight in the legs for my liking (though my wife says they look good) and the waist has just a little room left. I figure I have about 10 more pounds before I will finally have to buy some size 36 pants.

I am 40, will pull 485 tomorrow night and squat 375. Not the greatest numbers, but gives you some perspective...

Anyways, you may need to tighten up your nutrition and macros. You're young. Enjoy it while you can.

Crooked, that was why I asked about the light day. And he's done it.

OP, if you're really good with nutrition, you can probably do the TM while eating at just enough to make gains but not enough to get chubbier. However, that's walking a pretty tight rope. It's probably easier to do so with a H/L/M variation and some smart conditioning work. That's what I'd recommend trying first, after you truly finish your Re-LP.

starting strength coach development program
    Crooked: will do, I'll attempt to tighten up my nutrition.

Coach: Thank you for the advice. I appreciate your time.