starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Svj

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Very little, because explosiveness doesn't improve very much.

So you're saying it's impossible for a completely sedentary guy with a 20" SVJ to jump <30" if bodyfat doesn't decrease much?

Does the same hold true for a VJ with any number of approach steps?

I don't want to get into a silly argument but I want to be clear exactly what you mean and if I can find some convincing case studies to post up perhaps you will change your mind that strictly no one can increase their SVJ/VJ by more than 20% without losing a lot of weight

The STANDING Vertical Jump Test is what I'm referring to, since that is the standard. It does not go from 20 to 30 inches. Since that would be a 50% increase. I've never heard of it happening, no strength coach I know has ever heard of it happening. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The STANDING Vertical Jump Test is what I'm referring to, since that is the standard. It does not go from 20 to 30 inches. Since that would be a 50% increase. I've never heard of it happening, no strength coach I know has ever heard of it happening. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's never happened.
    You clearly haven't heard of top private sports performance coaches because all of their guys are gaining 10+ inches after training with them 3 months. #Sarcasm

Since doing the program I've got my sets up to a 270 squat and 190 power clean and without practicing jumping went from not being able to dunk at all before to recently being able to dunk smaller objects/footballs maybe 1 try out of 3. Feels pretty good.

Well, there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by JJdd View Post
    Since doing the program I've got my sets up to a 270 squat and 190 power clean and without practicing jumping went from not being able to dunk at all before to recently being able to dunk smaller objects/footballs maybe 1 try out of 3. Feels pretty good.
    I'm curious, how close were you before? Could you touch the rim? Could you grab the rim out right? Because that's probably a minimum of a 3" improvement. I always used to be able to touch and maybe wrap my finger tips around the rim and haven't tried since getting my squat and DL up a ton. Haven't been training PCs but I have cleaned 185 before.

I could touch the rim barely.

Wow.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you saying this seems unlikely or just insanely asinine?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast