starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 290lbs. x 5

Default Squat Form Check 290lbs. x 5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd appreciate a form check from you guys. I'm pretty sure I'm getting right to parallel, but would like someone more experienced to confirm. Please let me know of any other form improvements you think I could make.

http://youtu.be/q8S2K6Wzlak

And here's that same set with my phone's slo-mo feature for grins and giggles.

http://youtu.be/-fQel4dGA1w

You're high. Your knees need to go out more and your butt needs to go back. Watch your knees as you descend. They should stop moving forward earlier in the lift.

Think about setting your knees and then reaching back with your butt the rest of the way down while at the same time shoving your knees way out.

Thanks for the feedback, Nick. Would you recommend moving down in weight to work on those points? If so, how much of a drop would you recommend?

Nah. Keep going!

Sounds good. Thanks again, Nick!

So I tried to work on the feedback you gave me, Nick. I think I had some moderate success in setting my knees earlier and pushing them farther out. Here's a set from today. Some of the reps I know are off, but I think reps 2 and 5 are the best. It looks to me like on those I set my knees earliest in the descent and got the deepest at the bottom. Is that how it looks to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rutJbSR0z7E

Those are better. Now shove your knees out hard at the very bottom and drive up hard with your hips. Imagine the weight is on top of your butt. You may be trying to feel for the bottom, so stop doing that.

You should get Gates of Fire as an audio book and take a road trip to Reno in say...... late January for a Squat Camp. It'll be the best weekend you've had in months.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh man. If I weren't already committed to a yurt trip in late January, I would try to talk my wife into that. I would love to attend a training camp sometime. Especially if there's ever one in SLC. Reno might be the closest option for regular camps, though. I'll keep an eye on your calendar.

Thanks for the feedback on today's squats. I'm glad to know I'm moving in the right direction technique-wise. I'll work on shoving my knees out at the bottom an driving up hard with my hips.