starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing rounding issue on deadlifts once and for all.

Default Fixing rounding issue on deadlifts once and for all.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark,

I am pretty sure that you would rather people post form checks elsewhere but this is an issue I have been trying to fix and deal with for quite a while and I wanted your opinion on it once and for all.

Anyways, Ive always had trouble maintaining a neutral spine in the deadlift. I was able to deadlift a very rounded 520 x 1 at one point by letting form creep and ignorance get the best of me for quite a while. After a minor low back tweak, I decided that I was over my laziness and ignorance and that I would relearn and rebuild the deadlift from scratch.

After starting with 265 x 5, Ive finally worked up to 325 x 5 and I wanted to get your thoughts on it. I feel like I still can't keep my back in extension to the degree that you advise on the deadlift in Starting Strength or to the degree that you demonstrate in all of your pulling videos on youtube (rack pull, halting, 500 DL, ect). Any thoughts or suggestions on finally fixing this rounding issue moving forward?

I have also added a second video of a single where my deadlift is starting with my hips even higher in case that is one of the suggestions. As you will be able to see, my back is still not as extended as it probably should be. I should probably add that my squat is at 325 x 5 x 3 as of today.

Deadlift Set of 5 - http://youtu.be/mRcCy4TcJBc
    Deadlift Single with Hips Higher - http://youtu.be/myp4uOxJqeE

Thank you for your help and time.
    Joel

I see no problem with your lumbar extension in either of these videos. What do you think correct spinal extension looks like? Post a video of someone doing it "correctly."

His glutes probably got too big. Most likely from making the rookie mistake of using too much muscle to lift and not enough bone.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    His glutes probably got too big. Most likely from making the rookie mistake of using too much muscle to lift and not enough bone.
    I don't get it... Don't you want to use your musculature to move the weight?

Joel: The Video.

Hello Mark,

For example: here I see one of your athletes keep much better extension throughout the entire back than I am in my video.

http://youtu.be/0LrH7uHRGxI?t=6m33s

Quote Originally Posted by joelk511 View Post
    I don't get it... Don't you want to use your musculature to move the weight?
    It's a joke, Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by joelk511 View Post
    For example: here I see one of your athletes keep much better extension throughout the entire back than I am in my video.
    Better, but not MUCH better. He's stronger than you, and as you get stronger, you'll keep it flatter. But again, your very close to perfect, so put the pistol down.

Thanks Mark! Guess its time to add some weight!!!

Although I had backed off from 520 and restarted from 50-60% I think it is best to keep the 5 lb per workout progression and not jump right back to where I was before I reset to ensure I keep this form moving forward.

starting strength coach development program
    Video of 520?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast