starting strength gym

Thread: Back Pain

Default Back Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Mark,
    First of all, I'd like to thank you for all your help and guidance you provide people, who want to develop their strength. Currently, I'm reading your book Starting Strength, and really admire your expertise and scrupulous attention to every detail. Not long ago (about two weeks) I started to experience nagging pain a bit above my lower back. It especially bothers me when I'm lying in bed, making it hard to fall asleep. And now I feel confused about what I should do with my exercise program. I'm fairly new to strength training. Last workout I've just done 4 sets of 5 reps of squats with my body weight (on the bar) for the first time. I don't know whether I should continue training or stop squatting/deadlifting until the pain completely goes away. Or maybe there is something I can do to help it recover faster. I feel kinda scared about taking it too far and inflict any serious injuries (especially reading about herniated disks really freaks me out). Can I cause something like that and should I really worry? I'd truly appreciate to hear your opinion.

Best regards,
    Roman.

Your pain isn't described well enough. Is it bad enough that you should see a doctor? If not it could be any number of things. Maybe you need an adjustment. Maybe you just need to roll it a bit with foam roller. Ibuprofen? Are you setting your back properly in extension? Maybe you should post a video for evaluation.

Thanks for reply, first of all. Well, this pain, I almost don't feel it when I sit or walk, but when lying I start noticing it more. It doesn't seem like something serious, but still, I think, it's kinda early to have back issues when you're just 20. The only thing I tried to deal with it is doing Viniyoga Therapy for Lower Back. And it completely stops the pain for 5-7 hours but then it slowly comes back. Regarding my back extension, I always try to pay attention to it, since I noticed there was a slight butt wink going on when I'm squatting, and I'm working on eliminating it.

Apply ice to your back. 20 on, 20 off.