starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyle´s latest post

Default Lyle´s latest post

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not 100% relevant to nutrition but I assume some users in this forum might find this worth reading. The text explains a lot of the online personality that Lyle has created for himself.

And mosto of all, hat off to him for writing that! No easy thing to do on the web..

Open apology to the internet

I don't think this excuses any of his posts or attitudes, though I do commend him for trying to introspectively look at his own persona. I think, more likely than bipolar, he's got cluster B written all over him. Writing something like this is exactly what a cluster B person would do too.

If he truly is bipolar, I sincerely hope he finds the help he needs. But bipolar patients typically have horrible insight, meaning they are the last person to realize that they are sick, ie never. They rationalize all their behavior away and refuse the implications of their diagnosis repeatedly. It's a highly complex disease and from his writing it's clear he does not grasp the disease well at all. Wikipedia is probably more helpful. So it's hard to say whether he truly is or not. I can't imagine a bipolar patient self diagnosing and then plastering it over the Internet. Depression, yes. Bipolar, no.

And to add to Jordan's point, he could also be what we so affectionately call bipolar patients with personality disorders, "border polar". Its often very difficult to separate the two.

I do, however, like his referrence to the Depression and Bipolar Alliance. They do very good work.

^^^^This.

Maybe he's just an arsehole.

Notice he's not actually sought a diagnosis, he's just used Dr Google.

A long time ago Freud said that the business of psychiatry was not about "ordinary human misery", like being pissed off with your job or spouse. Maybe it also has no place in ordinary human decency, or ordinary human arseholeness.

That's true, but Freud had some pretty strange ideas to be fair.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    A long time ago Freud said that the business of psychiatry was not about "ordinary human misery", like being pissed off with your job or spouse. Maybe it also has no place in ordinary human decency, or ordinary human arseholeness.
    At the latter part he does say he's sought help and is trying to find the right mood stabilizer. He's also going to a support group with the DBA. Again, I don't know if he is or is not. But playing doctor over the Internet is absurd. You wouldn't do it with cancer. Why would you do it with psychiatry?

Bipolar patients can be both charming and complete assholes depending on their state. And using Freud to comment on mood disorders is going back in time to when we burned witches. He's an interesting historical read but he doesn't have much to say about modern day diagnoses in psychiatry.

That article represents the pinnacle of ego-centrism. The man is clearly obsessed with himself and completely out of touch with reality. He published what ultimately amounts to just another insult to those he's injured, thinly veiled (very thinly) as an apology. I find it very likely this man is a bona fide sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    But playing doctor over the Internet is absurd. You wouldn't do it with cancer. Why would you do it with psychiatry?

To be fair, many do it over "The internet". Read two books on the subject, one by a doctor, the other by a nut job. The nut job is still alive, the doctor isn't(cancer). Nor has anyone I've ever met who went through the big three lived more than 2 years after. Just saying, some people have reasons.....

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCarbDude View Post
    To be fair, many do it over "The internet". Read two books on the subject, one by a doctor, the other by a nut job. The nut job is still alive, the doctor isn't(cancer). Nor has anyone I've ever met who went through the big three lived more than 2 years after. Just saying, some people have reasons.....
    Wait wut?

Let's play a game here, shall we?

Would you consider Steve Jobs a smart man? In other words, is he more "nut job" or "doctor" category to you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast