Quote Originally Posted by jWolfer View Post
I've found that supplementing on L-Arginine and L-Lysine improves testosterone production if Zinc alone doesn't work.
Any data on that either in the way of pre and post labs or papers to corroborate that?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman B. View Post
Thanks, that's useful. By the way, in our country (and likely elsewhere) they test for either free or general, or both (not sure "general" is the correct translation) forms of testosterone. Does it matter which one to check? Also, they suggest checking T3 and T4 (also free / general). Would that be useful, in addition to TSH and prolactin? I have no special symptoms for taking a test, only a guess that my testosterone is probably low.
More data tends to give a better context and less follow up tests, but in general we try to go cheap first (or at least we try to theoretically). I like to see total testosterone on an initial screen to tell me if I need to go further down the road of tests.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
Fair enough. I think testosterone is marketed as a panacea, though, and a very profitable one judging by all the low T clinics. And we really do not have long term data, much less treating based on what the initial value was and to what level. We certainly have nothing comparable to thyroid data and what happens when we treat or don't treat. I'd hate to see a bunch of guys harmed simply because they wanted GainzZz TM. The Women's Health Initiative was a disaster and did nothing but muddy the waters for women for years. There may be dragons here long term. There may not. We don't know. Caveat emptor.
Yea I agree with you overall, and it'd be nice to get some more useful data out there. The studies are overall poorly designed. Additionally, looking at long term quality of life changes need to be included on that also. Still, there are risks with everything and they should not be overlooked or played down.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
I'm pretty sure this is what is happening to a good friend of mine at present. He's was a an amateur competitive body builder in his 20s, but has hit his mid 40s and is now experiencing depression like symptoms with general lethargy and weight gain. I told him to go to the Dr and get a comprehensive testosterone screening, but the Dr is just certain that it's depression. The fact all his T numbers came back in the "normal range" (albeit low normal) confirmed that for him, but being within normal population limits counts for little if it represents a 50% decrease within an individual.
Yea this is where people tend to get frustrated....hopefully he gets the help he needs. I'd be interested to learn of his sleep habits too.