starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weightloss interferes with strength gains

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Curious as to what your specific strategies are to achieve this and the amount of time you anticipate it taking..
    Mainly continued increases in volume over time, with slow manipulations in carbs and fat to suit my immediate needs. If I have a lot of time between meets, I can try to put on a bit of weight and then I usually have to lean out going into a meet. This tends to improve my body composition over time. Still, it's slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post
    As a matter of fact i did experience the same thing a lot in the past.
    I hope i can finally get it done with some help here.

How is a recomp defined Jordan? How wide or narrow is the range in which the weight can move?
    Is 10lb up or down still considered recomp?
    That's an excellent question. I have no official position as to what the def. of recomp is or isn't so I'll throw my hat into the ring and suggest that it's moving within 5% of a person's weight is likely "recomping" vs the more traditional bulk/cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    This is interesting because it's the exact opposite of what I read from the intermittent fasting and high-fat, low carb-guys (who aren't necessarily the same but seem to mostly overlap). I remember when you said to me something like "the accumulation block (high-volume phase) is a good time to lean out" and I was a little surprised because I always thought of it as a good to bulk up and that you needed the calories during high-volume phases just to recover.
    It's also more training, which is more of a caloric expenditure. So it can go both ways.

I think one aspect of that which may not be appreciated by a lot of people on the forum is that "getting stronger" isn't necessarily a week-to-week measurement. There's the stress (which could take 2 months), there's the adaptation and there's the "expression" or realization (1RM). Your numbers may not be going up during high volume weeks, but you are laying the groundwork for strength gains, thus you are getting stronger. Jordan, amiright?
    So wise, Rob :-)

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Curious as to what your specific strategies are to achieve this and the amount of time you anticipate it taking..
    Mainly continued increases in volume over time, with slow manipulations in carbs and fat to suit my immediate needs. If I have a lot of time between meets, I can try to put on a bit of weight and then I usually have to lean out going into a meet. This tends to improve my body composition over time. Still, it's slow going.

As a matter of fact i did experience the same thing a lot in the past.
    I hope i can finally get it done with some help here.

How is a recomp defined Jordan? How wide or narrow is the range in which the weight can move?
    Is 10lb up or down still considered recomp?
    That's an excellent question. I have no official position as to what the def. of recomp is or isn't so I'll throw my hat into the ring and suggest that it's moving within 5% of a person's weight is likely "recomping" vs the more traditional bulk/cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    This is interesting because it's the exact opposite of what I read from the intermittent fasting and high-fat, low carb-guys (who aren't necessarily the same but seem to mostly overlap). I remember when you said to me something like "the accumulation block (high-volume phase) is a good time to lean out" and I was a little surprised because I always thought of it as a good to bulk up and that you needed the calories during high-volume phases just to recover.
    It's also more training, which is more of a caloric expenditure. So it can go both ways.

I think one aspect of that which may not be appreciated by a lot of people on the forum is that "getting stronger" isn't necessarily a week-to-week measurement. There's the stress (which could take 2 months), there's the adaptation and there's the "expression" or realization (1RM). Your numbers may not be going up during high volume weeks, but you are laying the groundwork for strength gains, thus you are getting stronger. Jordan, amiright?
    So wise, Rob :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    So if a 100kg lifter loses about 5kg over a few months and gains them back slowly that would still be considered recomping? So recomping should actually be understood as something like "slow minicutting / minibulking"?

So if a 100kg lifter loses about 5kg over a few months and gains them back slowly that would still be considered recomping? So recomping should actually be understood as something like "slow minicutting / minibulking"?
    I wouldn't be opposed to it though again, I am not The Authority on these types of things.

Does it really matter? Not trying to be combative, but I think was really matters is actually doing it.

starting strength coach development program
    Allright, i'll see soon enough how its working.
    Thanks for your time Jordan. Much appreciated.

Greetings
    Christian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12