starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron supplementation.. any experience?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Apparently iron deficiency is very common. If that's the case, why don't you recommend supplementing?
    It's not very common in young ambulatory men and there are risks/side effects from supplementing that prevent it from being a universal recommendation. Not sure where you're getting your info.

I had the impression that healthy non-vegetarian men are more likely to have too much iron than too little. I actually donate blood regularly partly to keep my iron down, since I eat a lot of red meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Apparently iron deficiency is very common. If that's the case, why don't you recommend supplementing?
    1) we treat iron deficiency anemia, and he is not anemic - in fact he is stone cold normal

2) iron values are subject to different biological processes, and a low iron level is not in itself diagnostic of iron deficiency - he may not be iron deficient at all (based on the info he's provided)

Ah ok. I haven't done my homework properly. This was Wikipedia I think.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I had the impression that healthy non-vegetarian men are more likely to have too much iron than too little. I actually donate blood regularly partly to keep my iron down, since I eat a lot of red meat.
    Yes, about 1 in 6 people will have "too much iron" but only a small percent of them have actual hemochromatosis or any clinically significant sequelae. Giving blood is good though :-)

Toxicity of even normal iron levels in adult (men) without hemochromatosis is an area of active research. But there's a lot of basic science rationale to assume that there is such a thing as too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    Toxicity of even normal iron levels in adult (men) without hemochromatosis is an area of active research. But there's a lot of basic science rationale to assume that there is such a thing as too much.
    These are the people I was talking about, Paul. I haven't seen much that perks my ears, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    These are the people I was talking about, Paul. I haven't seen much that perks my ears, however.
    Me neither. There has been a LONG association between iron and free radical generation / oxidative stress. When I was in high school in the late 80s / early 90s I did research on this at a local university looking at superoxide dismutase and oxidative stress due to iron in a yeast model.

The thing is I haven't seen much to show that prevention of oxidative stress prevents ANY disease, so as far as I'm concerned the iron stuff is theoretical.

There is a known risk of sepsis due to IV iron infusions in patients on total parenteral nutrition, and this is thought to be because many bacteria are highly siderophoric (iron scavenging). This has never been associated with oral iron supplementation.

Interesting about the sepsis. I did not know that, though thinking about it- I'm guessing yersinia and listeria??? Cool :-)

starting strength coach development program
    I recall reading that human breast milk is very low in iron, infants rely on iron stored prenatally until they begin solid food. The theory was that this helps protect their guts from harmful bacteria that need the iron.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast