starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift technique is better in oly shoes? Or do I just suck at pulling?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The OP was not doing a set of 5 but 5 singles and resetting in between reps.

My question was meant to be more general, how much of a change in the effect of the workout would resetting / taking a couple of breaths between the 5 reps of the set have? (in terms of the stress-adaptation cycle). I suppose one is just stronger/harder to kill if they can pull 400x5 in 30 seconds vs. 400x5 in 60 seconds. I may also be overthinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    If that's not a set of five, then sets of five have never existed.
    Hamburger, I might agree, except that he's pulling 270, with good speed, and working an LP program. If he were working 525x5, at a max effort, I *might* feel differently - depending.

The real issue wasn't the time between the singles (I'm not holding a stop watch), but rather the fact that he is working his form, but doesn't do 5 pulls form the same position...he never gets set, never repeats the same position for more than a rep, and bounces around throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Edwards View Post

My question was meant to be more general, how much of a change in the effect of the workout would resetting / taking a couple of breaths between the 5 reps of the set have? (in terms of the stress-adaptation cycle). I suppose one is just stronger/harder to kill if they can pull 400x5 in 30 seconds vs. 400x5 in 60 seconds. I may also be overthinking this.
    I have no hope of quantifying this.

When working the SS LP protocol, I'm looking to see a guy do a set of 5, as quickly as possible, with the best form he can display. When that is accomplished, we can make a proper determination on whether or not to jump 5, 10, or 15lbs based on his numbers across the board and past performance. With a Deadlift of 270lbs, he is just getting started on LP, and has tons of room for growth. I'm looking for 405x5, which I believe is well within his abilities with proper training, diet, and rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Edwards View Post

When working the SS LP protocol, I'm looking to see a guy do a set of 5, as quickly as possible, with the best form he can display. When that is accomplished, we can make a proper determination on whether or not to jump 5, 10, or 15lbs based on his numbers across the board and past performance. With a Deadlift of 270lbs, he is just getting started on LP, and has tons of room for growth. I'm looking for 405x5, which I believe is well within his abilities with proper training, diet, and rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post

Even though this can result in a bit of a stretch reflex off of the bottom? Because I felt like I was starting to get going a little too fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYrCOdMAz0

You are bouncing these. This is different than a deadlift. \

Your hips are too low at the start, you're hitching, you dropped the bar...

Have you read the deadlift chapter?

You need to start your own thread, and not hijack this one...

I've read the chapter a few times and I feel like my form has degraded as the weights have gone up. But, you know, shits hard sometimes. It's a fine line between letting perfect be the enemy of good and making progress.

I wasn't actually looking for a form critique as I know have I have some issues. I didn't mean to hijack, I just wanted some clarity on the speed of the reps and was providing an example. I'll get one up sometime soon though. Thanks Mac.

Here is my deadlifts from today. 285x5, following your prescription, Mac. Front angle, about 45 degrees or so.

http://youtu.be/0Y1aT6e8kfI

This was after 3RM's in Squat (285) and Press (157.5)

Warm ups were 185x5x1, 225x3x1 255x2x1

My left hand grip started failing at about rep 4. Not sure if it's just weak I took too much warm up or what. These obviously went up pretty easily and probably could have pulled more, if I could have held onto it.

Thanks Mac.

Last one was your best. Nice job, solid improvement. Add weight.

Things to work on, watch the beginning, hips drop ever so slightly, freeze the hips, squeeze up the chest.

That will fix the most important thing to keep focusing on, back in solid extension...it's not dangerous, but it ain't as good as it could be. Squeeze up the chest hard, hard, harder, then execute the rep.

You could have held on to that, you kind of wimped out in my opinion. If you are unable to hold on, switch the grip and finish the set. I like that you use the double over hand grip as long as possible. You could always hook grip it too, though I don't think it necessary in this case.

starting strength coach development program
    Cool. Thanks Mac!

I'll add 10 lbs next week and focus on the beginning, squeezing harder and keeping my hips up. I wasn't sure if it was kosher to switch grip mid set. I will if I have to, but will continue to use the double overhand as long as possible.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast