starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift technique is better in oly shoes? Or do I just suck at pulling?

Default Deadlift technique is better in oly shoes? Or do I just suck at pulling?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Help.

So I've tried pulling in my shoes. I've tried it in socks.

It seems to me, from a proprioceptive point of view, that socks works better. I can get my back in a better position at the beginning of a pull. However, video shows I can't seem to hold that position very well at the start of the pull.

I feel like I'm on my toes more with shoes. My back doesn't start out nearly as extended. That might not be a problem if the extension I'm feeling barefoot is actually excessive. Or I need to work on squeezing harder at the bottom

Without a trained eye, it's hard to tell if I'm actually in much flexion or if my back muscles are contracting, making it look like flexion.

Perhaps I've over thinking all of this, which I am prone to do.

So, here's video in socks. 270x5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWN8j7mRW4

Here's video from today. 250x6. Why the extra rep? I felt like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TcafvTatWU

Any tips or yelling is appreciated. Thanks much.

Couple of things...and no yelling.

You don't REALLY do a set of 5, you do 5 quick singles. You reset and do the kabookie dick dance before each rep, you need to stay in position.

The rep with shoes is also a rep with the belt. I don't seen anything particularly wrong with either set, perhaps the back *could* be pulled harder into extension, but I don't see a change in the back during the pull, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

The set is ridiculously light for you, so I don't know how much I have to offer.

Last thing, I *think* you may be back on your heels a little, but it's very hard to see from this angle, and with the weight so light, lots of little form slips can get through. I *think* you are rocking back, but as I said before, the kabookie dick dance makes it tough because you don't get set, squeeze into position, and then pull...and without being there, I'm limited in what I can see.

What should you do?

Try setting up, with your shoes (and belt if you like), squeeze into position, resist the urge to bounce around and do a set of five. Let me set a video from the front angle so I can get a better sense of where your shoulders are in relationship to the bar.

And add weight to the bar, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    You don't REALLY do a set of 5, you do 5 quick singles. You reset and do the kabookie dick dance before each rep, you need to stay in position.
    This is hilarious.

To the OP, break that habit NOW.....it will be harder to break later on. From personal experience.

When I got to the end of a linear progression on deadlift my last workout note in my logbook says "1-1-1-1-1 UGLY". Now, given I was pushing it hard I can take the ugly feeling, but is a back off warranted if the pace of a set of 5 looks like it does in the 270 x 5 video above?

I suppose any rest over and above a touch and go (not bounce!) is changing the type of stress on the body, but I'm wondering really how much leeway can be given when pushing the limits of a set of 5. Is it none, or just be reasonable?

I hear you about the dance. I don't know where I got that from but I'll cut it out and focus on staying down and squeezing between reps.

250 obviously shoots right off the floor. I've been apprehensive about adding weight when I'm not sure my form is acceptable. I also understand that with relatively light weights, true technique flaws can be absent. I'll add 25 pounds. The most I've pulled off the floor is 280..

Do you see me back on my heels on the beltless set, the belted set with shoes or both? Sorry for such random assortment of apparel in these sets. I assure you I'm not that random in practice. The set with shoes was the first set in shoes in a few months. I just got the belt a week ago.

Thanks Mac. I'll focus on those aspects, shoot a new video from the front angle and get back to you. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Edwards View Post
    When I got to the end of a linear progression on deadlift my last workout note in my logbook says "1-1-1-1-1 UGLY". Now, given I was pushing it hard I can take the ugly feeling, but is a back off warranted if the pace of a set of 5 looks like it does in the 270 x 5 video above?

I suppose any rest over and above a touch and go (not bounce!) is changing the type of stress on the body, but I'm wondering really how much leeway can be given when pushing the limits of a set of 5. Is it none, or just be reasonable?
    I think you just tried to hijack this thread. Post a new thread with your own video and question and we will get to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ddhahn View Post
    I hear you about the dance. I don't know where I got that from but I'll cut it out and focus on staying down and squeezing between reps.

250 obviously shoots right off the floor. I've been apprehensive about adding weight when I'm not sure my form is acceptable. I also understand that with relatively light weights, true technique flaws can be absent. I'll add 25 pounds. The most I've pulled off the floor is 280..

Do you see me back on my heels on the beltless set, the belted set with shoes or both? Sorry for such random assortment of apparel in these sets. I assure you I'm not that random in practice. The set with shoes was the first set in shoes in a few months. I just got the belt a week ago.

Thanks Mac. I'll focus on those aspects, shoot a new video from the front angle and get back to you. I really appreciate it.
    Just post the new video with a true set of five and I will take a little look-see for ya.

I think you just tried to hijack this thread. Post a new thread with your own video and question and we will get to you.
    Apologies, Mac, not my intention. Was a question based on his video, your coaching tips, and it degraded into story time. I'll look it up for myself in PP and if I still have questions make my own post. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Edwards View Post
    Apologies, Mac, not my intention. Was a question based on his video, your coaching tips, and it degraded into story time. I'll look it up for myself in PP and if I still have questions make my own post. Thanks.
    Perhaps I misunderstood your question. Please rephrase. Were you asking about his, or yours?

starting strength coach development program
    If that's not a set of five, then sets of five have never existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfNmCEpnWo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast