starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gym Class ruin gains?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Changing the schedule is not helpful. Learning to sandbag in gym class will be.
    I also noticed in my gym booklet that he has workout for us to do called "The 300 workout (Crossfit) " He has dead lift for 50 reps and suggested weight for males is 135. Most of the exercises he has us doing is about 25-50 reps. Gotta love crossfit (said no one ever)

I have to say, I'm a bit confused by the recommendations in this thread. The kid says he's currently eating 4500 calories a day, and he's going to add approximately 90 minutes of cardio once a week. Even if he's working very hard, I can't imagine he's burning more than 2000 calories as a result of this, and it's probably more like 1000. Why is it necessary for him to add an extra 10,000 calories a week to compensate for this?

Quote Originally Posted by rmckenzie711 View Post
    I also noticed in my gym booklet that he has workout for us to do called "The 300 workout (Crossfit) " He has dead lift for 50 reps and suggested weight for males is 135. Most of the exercises he has us doing is about 25-50 reps.
    Figure out how to cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by stejor View Post
    I have to say, I'm a bit confused by the recommendations in this thread. The kid says he's currently eating 4500 calories a day, and he's going to add approximately 90 minutes of cardio once a week. Even if he's working very hard, I can't imagine he's burning more than 2000 calories as a result of this, and it's probably more like 1000. Why is it necessary for him to add an extra 10,000 calories a week to compensate for this?
    Because he's not just adding cardio, and there's much MUCH more to the equation that just the calories burned.

Just tell your gym teacher that your multifidus is sore and you don't want to risk permanent injury.

It's not like you can actually fail gym class.

Quote Originally Posted by stejor View Post

Unfortantly it's not just cardio for 90 minutes. It's circuit training, HIIT, Crossfit and tons of other shit every Monday for until May :/

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess I'm just old, but when I was a kid, 17 year old boys went surfing and then ate at the all-you-can-eat pizza place for as many hours as the manager would allow, then went home for dinner, then went out for taco bell.
    What does your being old have to do with anything? Lots of kids still smoke pot.

Mm midnight Taco Bell memories..

She misguidedly thinks teenagers in her day had no cares or concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Figure out how to cheat.

Because he's not just adding cardio, and there's much MUCH more to the equation that just the calories burned.

Sure, but what could he be doing that's so stressful that he needs such a huge caloric excess? Even if he were adding an extra day of legitimate training, that seems like overkill.

Furthermore, aren't these extra calories just going to make him fat? Assuming that the 4500 calories was an appropriate amount for him to be eating before, isn't he essentially adding an extra 1000+ calorie surplus every day without much in the way of additional strength/hypertrophy stimulus? Perhaps that's an acceptable tradeoff in exchange for continued progress, but it seems like that's a significant drawback of this approach.

starting strength coach development program
    I wish I knew how to lift weights at 15

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast