starting strength gym

Thread: Lifter with hip replacements

Default Lifter with hip replacements

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am inquiring whether anyone knows if there are any limitations for someone with both hip being replaced? One was 12 yrs ago and the other 5 yrs ago. I am 63 yrs old and have lifted, on and off, for 30-40 years. Up unto three years ago, I was training for bench pressing competition. I have used, in my mind that is, a modified deadlift by putting the bar across the squat rack brace and deadlifting from about 20" higher than the floor. I was comfortable lifting sets with 400+ and benching 285.
    Now, three years hence from bypass surgery, I have my confidence back enough to begin lifting and I would like to deadlift and squat correctly. I do know that I shouldn't hang upside down or get on an inverted machine because the joint is a load bearing fixture. The ball is titanium and the cup is phenolic. I have been lifting since October, skip rope, use elliptical machines, but I definately cannot run. My biggest joy is lifting with the Marines and Navy personnel in the nearby federal installation. I am very proud to share space with these fine warriors. Thanks

What is your current range of motion? Can you get parallel?

Yes I can.

Start with the empty bar, 5 sets of 5. Go up 5 pounds on the last set, every workout, twice a week, until I tell you to stop.