starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get Oly lifting coaching here?

Default Should I get Oly lifting coaching here?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.outofstepbarbell.com/#!about-us/crvx

This place is in town, actually right next to the Greensboro Aquatic Center where I swim.

I could use some olympic lifting coaching, as I have serious difficulty racking cleans.

The problem is their emphasis is very strongly on full lifts rather than power versions -- and I don't know that learning the full lifts is worth my efforts.

I know nothing of these guys. We can post and ask.

Before training with them, ask if they are aware of Starting Strength methods. Ask if they teach a vertical pull or if they start with the bar forward of the midfoot. Ask how they want the hips at the start of the pull. Ask them how they get their athletes stronger.

If they are teaching standard USAW style, you'll be wasting your money, and relearning a movement (the pull) incorrectly (assuming you are lifting correctly now).

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Since my problem is racking, hopefully they could help with that even if they have other methods, and when I'm on my own I can do it the way I've learned through SS. I don't plan to enter a long term training program with them -- I just have a lot of trouble catching the bar correctly, I'm basically catching it on my collarbones and sternum. And racking the snatch is even worse, because my shoulders are less flexible than my barbell.

Let us know how it goes. I think you will find it frustrating.

You could always make us a day trip...

Would love to, though it's a shlep to get out to the coast. I have a couple research studies that may bring me out that way at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I know nothing of these guys. We can post and ask.

Before training with them, ask if they are aware of Starting Strength methods. Ask if they teach a vertical pull or if they start with the bar forward of the midfoot. Ask how they want the hips at the start of the pull. Ask them how they get their athletes stronger.

If they are teaching standard USAW style, you'll be wasting your money, and relearning a movement (the pull) incorrectly (assuming you are lifting correctly now).

Hope this helps.
    LMAO bruh

Important thing: What is wrong with your rack, Paul?

Less important things:

1. Power cleans/snatches are full lifts. They are not partial versions.
    2. OutOfStepBarbell's videos demonstrate that they are not into the Chinese, Klokov, Mark Rippetoe, Physics or several other somewhat important things.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Important thing: What is wrong with your rack, Paul?
    Between long forearms and inflexible wrists it is pretty painful to get into rack position, even for a front squat. Actually, shoulder inflexibility is part of it too, it's very hard to get my elbows pointed forward under a load.

Now, I can get into the position, especially after some warmup, but when I clean I just somehow don't transfer to the rack position. The bar gets caught by my hands and rests on my collarbones / upper sternum.

I've tried a lot of drills, both from Rip's book and from Greg Everett's books, to keep practicing racking with an empty bar, but even then it's inconsistent. So in short, I think I've got bad but not impossible anthropometry for racking cleans, and with some coaching and cues I might be able to get it down. I really enjoy doing them...

As for snatches, I've got a ton of difficulty due to shoulder inflexibility. I'm not sure that lift will even be possible with a respectable weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    Would love to, though it's a shlep to get out to the coast. I have a couple research studies that may bring me out that way at some point.
    OR, you could drive down to Atlanta and seek out one of the coaches here, and they could set you straight. Before you do, I'll need you to stop off at Stamey's and get me two pounds of BBQ, a quart of slaw, some hush-puppies, and one bottle of each sauce. In return, you're welcome to come use my gym.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    OutOfStepBarbell's videos demonstrate that they are not into the Chinese, Klokov, Mark Rippetoe, Physics or several other somewhat important things.
    You ain't kidding. That snatch starting position video....

starting strength coach development program
    Is Stamey's that good? Never been there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast