starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaning on right side on squats

Default Leaning on right side on squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So a few notes before I put up the video:
    -I've been training for almost a year now.
    -I damaged my left hip joint a few months ago squatting (I lean on my right side squatting now)
    -I got weightlifting shoes and I'm finding it difficult to set my stance evenly and consistently for some reason. (possibly in my head, but it's hard to shake)
    -The right side of my spinal erectors is significantly larger than my left side and I have no leg length discrepancies and I don't have scoliosis. (I got measured and xrayed by a doctor)
    -I filmed my squat work set from the front because I was having pain in my RIGHT hip recently and I was thinking it was because I was favoring it.
    -I'm aware of the possibility that this is all in my head, which is why I will post a video and let you decide.
    -The video is a front angle only because it's easier to see if I'm even on both sides or not, if the video is bad let me know what I can do to get a better view.

If this is a problem let me know what I can do to correct it. I was using a mirror from the front and I found it difficult to stay even with 135 (I'm currently doing 345 for work sets). Again, I'm not sure if this is just in my head so let me know if it is. Thanks rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfK1...ature=youtu.be

This doesn't look terribly unbalanced, at least not from this angle. How did you damage your hip? What was the diagnosis? I have never seen a significant erector asymmetry in the absence of a pathology, so are you sure you don't have some degree of scoliosis? How do you know? Is there a leg length discrepancy? How do you know?

The diagnosis was hip joint effusion. I think I already made a post on here regarding that. x rays for the hip showed that there was swelling on cartilage between the hip socket and the femoral head from what I remember. I guess I was squatting too wide at the time or something.

I know it's strange. I also made a post regarding my uneven back development here as well. You told me to go get it checked and I did. I did have x rays and they said no scoliosis was present, but I never saw the x rays myself. Doc also measured my legs and there was a slight difference, but nothing significant. I can't remember the exact difference right now, but I do remember him telling me it was nothing significant.

I honestly don't think this video gives a good view of how much I'm leaning on my right side. It looks more significant when I squat in a mirror and it's pretty noticeable my right leg is doing more work. I'll try to get a good video showing exactly what it looks like, but in the meantime is there actually a good way to fix this assuming it is a problem? The only thing that makes me persistent that it is a problem is because my right hip has been bothering me.

Not enough information here, sorry.

What information do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by roundedback View Post
    It looks more significant when I squat in a mirror and it's pretty noticeable my right leg is doing more work.
    I just wouldn't squat in front of the mirror, then.

OP-I have a similar lean, but I think mine is more pronounced. You seem to have started with the bar slanted at the top, but it looks almost non existent after you actually started squatting.

Do you you feel like the bar sits unevenly? It looks like it's at least centered. Do you twist or crunch down on the right side? I think a direct rear view might show things better.

It could be indicative of the scoliosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It could be indicative of the scoliosis.
    I'll try to get the xrays that they took, but they reported to me that there was no scoliosis.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    During the setup, (3-5 seconds into the video) it appears the bar is about 2 inches off-center. Is this intentional? Could this be the cause of some issues?
    I didn't even know I was off center. I don't think it's the cause of the issue because when I squatted towards the mirror to test things I got centered and was still leaning a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    I just wouldn't squat in front of the mirror, then.

OP-I have a similar lean, but I think mine is more pronounced. You seem to have started with the bar slanted at the top, but it looks almost non existent after you actually started squatting.

Do you you feel like the bar sits unevenly? It looks like it's at least centered. Do you twist or crunch down on the right side? I think a direct rear view might show things better.
    I honestly think the mirror is a useful tool in this instance.

No the bar feels like it's even. It also feels heavy. I don't feel asymmetrical.

People who are asymmetrical seldom perceive the asymmetry.

starting strength coach development program
    Got a couple more videos with angles from front and back. Keep in mind I'm purposely leaning on my left hip a bit here so the leaning on my right hip might be less pronounced. The weight on the bar is also only 80% of my worksets, so it may also get more pronounced as the weight gets heavier. The back angle gives the best view of the lean imo (but also the best view of my ass, unfortunately). Is there any noticeable lean? I'll get a couple heavier worksets tomorrow as well and that should tell whether or not this is a problem.

Front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWtC4SYwFE

Back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjtSA9NjxM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast