starting strength gym

Thread: Starting a Fitness Business

Default Starting a Fitness Business

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

Not sure where to put this, so I'll try here. I'm working with a group of folks looking to build out a martial arts business. They are very accomplished Olympic level folks.

I've told them that in many ways their problems remind me of those that face starting strength. They are a high quality supplier competing in a service industry against inferior competition. They are also selling a service that customers are not fit to properly assess when they are novices, unless they do more than a normal amount of research. Even if they do, misinformation is rampant.

My questions to this group
    1) Can anyone point me toward the best resources available on starting and running a successful fitness business? I'm familiar with several on this site and have read them.
    2) Has anyone received investor money to start a gym? If so, how was that set up?
    3) Are any gym owner's interested in being interviewed by me for market research?
    4) Who are the leading purveyors of martial arts in the US? Does the industry have its own "crossfit"? Does the industry have its own "Rip"?
    5) What kinds of marketing have you found useful for gym businesses?

Thanks much!
    J

1. Not solely suited for gym business...read "The E-Myth"
    2. My investor money was my own.
    3. Not me.
    4. No idea.
    5. None. Gyms are local, pick a location that is not saturated, and has the population to support.

It's the same as any small business. Start small, build up. Be good at the service or product you offer. Advertise in every medium, if it brings in clients then use that form advertising again. Give people more than they paid for. Word of mouth will help. Start small, build up.

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to say your analysis regarding the martial arts industry seems very accurate.

Within the last month or so I was casually looked for a place to learn the basics. I quickly came to the conclusion that there was no way to tell who, if anyone, was qualified to teach. They might list fancy sounding certifications and competition victories, but how is that meaningful to me, an outsider? After all, many of those personal trainer certifications I see listed on my commercial gym's wall take a single weekend (and few hundred dollars) to get.

In response to your question 4, Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu is -the- brand of Jiu Jitsu in the western hemisphere, which is one of the most effective "ground game" martial arts in existence. Fairtex and Windy are the premier Muay Thai camps in the world, both located in Thailand.

In response to your question 5, the above examples all have currently competing world champions, and an extremely long lineage of past champions and legends. They all also sell branded equipment (gis/kimonos, boxing gloves, etc). They also have "first mover" advantage.

Good luck, OP.

Most financially successful martial arts schools have a substantial kids' program.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn Brookes View Post
    Most financially successful martial arts schools have a substantial kids' program.
    Exactly. This is what we are seeing as well. Karate is a top 3 sport for kids under 10.

Thanks Mac! Book ordered.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks very much. I will definitely look into Gracie and Fairtex.