starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ab Wheel

Default Ab Wheel

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

I was researching the ab wheel as a tool to finally get me over the 500 deadlift mark. (Been at 480 way, way too long.)

When I googled for mentions of ab wheel on startingstrength a bunch of your training logs came up. It looks like you used to use the ab wheel often and then cut it out of your training.

If you have a minute I'd be interested to know:

(1) Do you think the ab wheel is a optimal tool for intermediate lifters?
    (2) Did you stop the ab wheel because you found something better? If yes, what?

Hector,

Thanks for the post.

1) I think it's a very good tool, one that I return to at times certainly. Do I think it's optimal? Eh, that'd be a bit strong but it's definitely up there.
    2) I stopped using it because it was beating up my shoulders a little too much for my liking. I like L sits/V Sits/Lever work these days. I think those and ab wheel work are probably my favorites for an intermediate-advanced lifter who can do them reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Hector,

Thanks for the post.

1) I think it's a very good tool, one that I return to at times certainly. Do I think it's optimal? Eh, that'd be a bit strong but it's definitely up there.
    2) I stopped using it because it was beating up my shoulders a little too much for my liking. I like L sits/V Sits/Lever work these days. I think those and ab wheel work are probably my favorites for an intermediate-advanced lifter who can do them reasonably well.
    Thanks for the response! Since I can't do an L sit or a Lever I'll continue with the ab wheel and work toward those. Much appreciated.

Not hijacking, but wondering what kind of protocol do you use/recommend for ab wheel use? (Or ab work in general)
    I was thinking once a week with a couple sets of 3-5 reps depending on getting accustomed to the movement.
    I did them a couple of times and found them easy for seveal reps but abs hurt for a couple days afterwards and affected my squats so I stopped.

Like front levers ? You can rock a front lever ? Makes sense it's isometric. May put these back in as an work myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Hector,

Thanks for the post.

Any chance for an article on this? What do you consider useful assistance tools for the core?

Quote Originally Posted by Vogstar View Post
    Not hijacking, but wondering what kind of protocol do you use/recommend for ab wheel use? (Or ab work in general)
    I was thinking once a week with a couple sets of 3-5 reps depending on getting accustomed to the movement.
    I did them a couple of times and found them easy for seveal reps but abs hurt for a couple days afterwards and affected my squats so I stopped.
    I just tell people to set a timer for 7-10 minutes and do as many quality reps as possible and then progress that over time. I think, like anything else, you get used to them and the time limit tends to preclude massive volume unless you're already good at them and thus, many reps doesn't wreck you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Like front levers ? You can rock a front lever ? Makes sense it's isometric. May put these back in as an work myself.
    Ha! I cannot do a front lever yet or a really solid back lever, but I work on them as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezart Erindi View Post
    Any chance for an article on this? What do you consider useful assistance tools for the core?
    I might write something on it. Never thought about it really. As far as useful assistance tools, I think anything isometric and anti flexion/anti over extension is probably really useful for lifting with anti rotation exercises (like Pallof presses) are probably "more" useful for life. The jury is out on the overall efficacy of them with respect to driving the lifts up IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Vogstar View Post
    I just tell people to set a timer for 7-10 minutes and do as many quality reps as possible and then progress that over time. I think, like anything else, you get used to them and the time limit tends to preclude massive volume unless you're already good at them and thus, many reps doesn't wreck you anyway.

Ha! I cannot do a front lever yet or a really solid back lever, but I work on them as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezart Erindi View Post
    I might write something on it. Never thought about it really. As far as useful assistance tools, I think anything isometric and anti flexion/anti over extension is probably really useful for lifting with anti rotation exercises (like Pallof presses) are probably "more" useful for life. The jury is out on the overall efficacy of them with respect to driving the lifts up IMO

Back lever seems crazy rough on shoulders. I guess one could argue front are rough on elbows though. I'm surprised you have back levers on in the mix

starting strength coach development program
    Back lever seems crazy rough on shoulders. I guess one could argue front are rough on elbows though. I'm surprised you have back levers on in the mix
    They don't hurt my shoulders or elbows at all, thankfully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast