starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ab Wheel

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Donīt mean to hijack the thread either but this got into interesting area.

Do you do any dynamic work besides lever work, l-sits etc? Hanging leg raisest, weighted sit ups or something in that fashion? And what are your thoughts in general dividing the training volume between isometric and dynamic exercises for ab/core work?

If you can't do and l-sit, try and l-hang from a bar.
    Failing that, a tuck hang.

Quote Originally Posted by JukkaM View Post
    Donīt mean to hijack the thread either but this got into interesting area.

Do you do any dynamic work besides lever work, l-sits etc? Hanging leg raisest, weighted sit ups or something in that fashion? And what are your thoughts in general dividing the training volume between isometric and dynamic exercises for ab/core work?
    I do leg raises/knee raises but that's about it. I don't think ab work really helps much in an intermediate or above lifter after a certain baseline of ab "work" is done. That is, more isn't better once a threshold of ab work is done and it probably matters little outside of pyschological factors what ab work one does.

Interesting point of view. Iīve thought (and still somewhat do) that the core should never be the weakest link in the system which might give in first during a heavy lift for example. Therefore Iīve had the outlook that ab work should progress with the main lifts. For example add weight to weighted sit ups, increase ROM in hanging leg raises (or add static holds on the top part) or work towards more advanced lever work.

Anyways, your point was interesting and thanks for sharing it.

Yea I think ab strength is rarely the limiting factor, but improving the ability to recruit existing strength is likely the main mechanism of "gain" via ab work IMO.

starting strength coach development program
    Ab Wheel kicks my ass. If you're doing 3 sets of 10 standing wheel rollouts you've got all the ab strength you need. Doing any more than that wouldn't directly improve your lifts, I'd think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12