starting strength gym
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tried so many times - challenge that have not been overcome

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Fuck's sake, if 30 miles is too much to handle, then there's no reason for me to continue trying to save for a trip to Texas to attend a seminar.

Push ups it is.

Toronto people are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, 30 miles is an unreasonable and essentially insurmountable obstacle. Just do pushups.

Troll?
    Come on, that's like 48 kilometers!

OP, what do you consider to be a practical distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    I can't emphasize enough how incorrect this. Every week there are real life stories featured of folks that have it WAY tougher than you succeeding. I have one of my own: Barbell Training as Rehab

Here is what I can contribute to you, from experience. You are never going to make progress if you are making excuses. You need to get so sick and tired of bullshitting yourself that you can't stand yourself. For most folks they somehow find a way to rationalize away their inability to sacrifice and advance. Please don't be a part of that group . . life is so more satisfying when you are challenged while living it.
    I appreciate your insight and will be reading your story. Thank you.

Yes, 30 miles is an unreasonable and essentially insurmountable obstacle. Just do pushups.

Troll?

Mark, with all due respect why did you think I was trolling? I did say this only once.

I will give Alex a call as per your advice.

Finally, 30 miles is not an obstacle if this is requires 3 visits (as mentioned by another user earlier in the thread), but yes it is not something I can commit to if this were to be a twice a week process for months.

Troll?
    bingo! it's really miss manners (harcourt) over @ exercise science 2014 - he's still pissy with that ever so mean, sully the bully re: ronnie ray gun

Quote Originally Posted by dtum View Post
    Mark, with all due respect why did you think I was trolling? I did say this only once.

I will give Alex a call as per your advice.

Finally, 30 miles is not an obstacle if this is requires 3 visits (as mentioned by another user earlier in the thread), but yes it is not something I can commit to if this were to be a twice a week process for months.

Why do you think it would be twice a week for months? It sounds like you just need to get your form ironed out--which might take two or three weeks going twice a week--and then you'll (hopefully) only need to check in with your coach once or twice a month.

Element Crossfit is 30+ miles away from my house which makes it impractical considering my work occupation and family life (yes, that may sound like a poor excuse).
    I'm driving 40+ miles one way each week to coach my mother for SS. She's 55 with a bad back and arthritic ankle (as in bad enough that doctors have recommended performing an ankle replacement). The spine problems are a result of being thrown from a horse directly onto her head about 40 years ago. She's slowly but successfully working through some legitimate and serious physical impediments to get stronger and healthier. In other words, she's making this a priority. Clearly you are not if a 30 mile drive for expert coaching is too big an obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Come on, that's like 48 kilometers!

OP, what do you consider to be a practical distance?
    15-20 max? Traffic in Toronto is horrid.

starting strength coach development program
    30 miles is not an obstacle if this is requires 3 visits (as mentioned by another user earlier in the thread), but yes it is not something I can commit to if this were to be a twice a week process for months.
    Right -- nobody is saying you have to join Alex's gym -- I visited for 3 consecutive Saturdays, and it helped tremendously.

That said, maybe there is a problem that can be solved over the internet. Tell us about your programming -- are you able to consistently work out 3 times a week? Or do you get so busy, you miss 2 or 3 weeks, and then come back and try to add weight? Or do you try to rush things by working out 2 consecutive days, increasing weight each time? Either of those scenarios will increase the likelihood of you failing and/or getting injured.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast