starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm in the early novice portion of my program and hope to nip any form problems in the bud. I think my knees get too far forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oln-xqJffLQ

It does look like you're trying to stay too vertical in the torso, but your knees don't go terribly far forward and slide much at the bottom. It's hard to say from this video, but I think you also need more toe out and knee out to match. You do appear to initiate ascent from the hole with your hips, but quickly switch to raising your chest. Probably related to the too-vertical back angle. Last couple reps are also of questionable depth. And you need to get a pair of lifting shoes.

So, that's kind of a lot. To condense:

Toes out, knees out.
    Lean over a bit more on the way down and go deep every time.
    Stay in your hips on the way up.

Thanks. I worked out again after posting that video and put the bar a bit lower. It helped me lean forward and keep my back in position throughout the squat. It has been tricky to get used to after high bar squatting. I am also having trouble getting consistent foot placement from workout to workout. But when it's right, my knees move out like they are supposed to. "Lower" and "wider" are two cues I may adopt until bar and foot placement are dialed in.

Romaleos are en route. I should be able to break them in next time I squat.

How's this look? The camera angle is sort of lousy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6poaZDZ8E

You look to be well above parallel on these and your stance may be too wide. Cannot really tell since I cannot see your feet. You are also not driving your hips up at all, but are instead lifting the chest. Narrow your stance until it is shoulder width, go deeper, and think of pushing your sacrum up all the way to the top of the squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, the video was poor quality. Sometimes I lean forward too much and it prevents me from hitting depth because the bar gets too far out front. I attribute that to being sloppy with breathing and core tightness. I'll spare you another video, but I've been focusing on pushing my knees out and sitting back more and I've found that helps keep me in the groove. Thanks for your comments.