starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 45 inch vertical from NFL prospect at Combine

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "Tied for 3rd best since 2003." He's an outlier. They're around, you know. But what about this one guy would lead you to believe that anybody is getting better at doing anything?
    Well, you got me there, Rip. N = 1 is hardly a convincing piece of evidence of anything. SVJ numbers of 40 inches or greater belong to to approximately 5% of the participants at the combine. I can only imagine if they were in a well designed Olympic weightlifting program what they might be able to accomplish.

But let me remind you that you told me you would give me $100 if I could produce a video showing a SVJ over 40 inches. I will accept payment by check, cash, or money order.....

Quote Originally Posted by FullAuto View Post
    I can only imagine if they were in a well designed Olympic weightlifting program what they might be able to accomplish.
    Very little more than that. You forgot that part.

But let me remind you that you told me you would give me $100 if I could produce a video showing a SVJ over 40 inches. I will accept payment by check, cash, or money order.....
    Would you take a shirt instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    .....Would you take a shirt instead?
    That'll be fine. I have the red one in 3XL where the guy is doing a C&J, which is my favorite. But whatever you think is good, I'll be most appreciative.

Rip, all of this reminds me of your discussion about power and how it is not very responsive to training. It's incredible this kid has had a 45 inch vertical for most of his life. If you read the underlying article about the video he was not that big of an impact player at Georgia. He was good but not great.

I think you have covered this a couple of times but why is the SVJ more telling of how explosive an athlete is instead of the standing broad jump? Aren't the same muscles involved? In the video he had a SBJ of 11' 7" which is supposed to be elite levels.

And one more slightly off topic item: Bo Jackson. He was clocked in the 40 yard dash with a 4.12 time, which is the fastest recorded time at the NFL combine. I know some are going to chime in here that it was not an electronically scored time but that is really begging the question. When he did that he weighed approximately 220 lbs. If you looked at his legs you would think he had a big squat but he didn't lift that much according to reports - he is a genetic freak. It underscores your point about a bigger motor doesn't slow the car down.

Quote Originally Posted by FullAuto View Post
    Rip, all of this reminds me of your discussion about power and how it is not very responsive to training. It's incredible this kid has had a 45 inch vertical for most of his life. If you read the underlying article about the video he was not that big of an impact player at Georgia. He was good but not great.
    It is possible to be a good athlete and a shitty football player.

I think you have covered this a couple of times but why is the SVJ more telling of how explosive an athlete is instead of the standing broad jump? Aren't the same muscles involved? In the video he had a SBJ of 11' 7" which is supposed to be elite levels.
    Because the SBJ is more technical, and can thus be made more susceptible to improvement through practice. Send me your address.

Um. Wow. 44.5" vertical and 12'+ broad jump.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/23/nfl...ad-jump-record

Is it possible to be a good football player and a shitty athlete?

Quote Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
    Define "athlete".

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
    Define "athlete".
    By NFL standards, yes. Inside Linebackers are pretty much that exact definition. If they were any better athletes, they'd be outside linebackers, running backs, defensive ends, or tight ends. They're just hard nosed, instinctive football players who aren't good enough athletes to play where the money is. But they'll step in front of a hard charging 225lb running back 50+ plays a game.

Chris Borland his a prime example of that. Drafted later last year because he didn't have the "measurables" to be drafted in the first round. Stepped in after a few weeks and could have been defensive rookie of the year had he finished the season.

These guys are obviously, still, stellar athletes. But you do see it at other levels, in other sports even. It's certainly possible to be a decent football player and not a very good athlete. I mean, you've gotta be able to run without falling over, there's an obvious baseline that needs to be met. But it's possible, sure.

starting strength coach development program
    Tom Brady.....Jameis Winston..... Wes Welker....shitty athletes but good football players.

Jameison Konz, Bruce Campbell, Tim Tebow......great athletes but shitty football players.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast