starting strength gym

Thread: My review of training with Tom

Default My review of training with Tom

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=55922

I also replied to my own post with additional endorsement of Tom, which should appear later today or tomorrow.

I was going to delete this as redundant since it already appears in the testimonials section. But I paused for a moment and realized that more people should know just how goddamn excellent of a coach Comrade Campitelli is, so here's a chance to spread the word.

I've been working with Tom at the seminars for almost three years, and he was already fairly senior on the staff when I joined up. His skill and expertise were obvious, but it wasn't till we did the first ever seminar completely without Rip last July in Toronto/Mississauga, that I really saw how ridiculously good he is. Tom took the place of Rip in that seminar, and the material was presented as well and as clearly as if Rip had been there. Tom's platform teaching presence was commanding and authoritative, and when we went around the room at the end, he was able to make perfect corrections on the spot to lifters he hadn't been coaching for that lift up to that point. While perhaps no one can replace Rip's ornery and extemporaneous hilarity, the quality of the seminar was exactly as high as it is with Rip there - thanks to Tom.

So ya, Tom is a really fucking awesome coach. If you're in the area and have any doubts whatsoever about going to see him, doubt no longer. He is The Comrade, and he will fix your lifts.

I'll second (well, actually third) that statement Wolf. Tom is a fantastic coach. Not only does he have great command and knowledge of the lifts, he is able to imbue the trainee with a great degree of understanding without filling their heads with fluff. I've had the pleasure of attending a few seminars where Tom is coaching. Despite (at times) having the wardrobe of a Peanuts character, he is forceful when needed, but always explains the lift with precision so the lifter knows what to do. Its a pleasure to watch him work and learn from him as a coach. Whenever anyone in the Bay Area asks me who to talk to when they need to learn how do things with a barbell, I refer them to Tom.

I'll second and third this.

I bought the book, got all psyched up, got under the barbell and FREAKED out... Things that seemed incredibly simple in the book suddenly became very complicated with a fucking heavy weight (for me) on my back.. I think one of my first posts on this site was of the "oh shit!" variety. I could actually BP twice what I could squat when I started since I had went out of my way not to 'stress' my legs due to a torn ACL.

I booked an afternoon with Tom for my wife and I. The immediate impression I got from Tom was confidence and competence. A few hours of coaching got my squat and deadlift straightened out. I've avoided power cleans so far (geezling) but I'm thinking of starting them up at some point in the future.

Tom's the man. He confirmed that I was squatting correctly, which was a big confidence boost, and then he fixed my power clean. I also got to see Wolf squat and deadlift over 500. And Nick D and Alex C were there too. Great coaches, all, and great people.