starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello SS coaches!

I can't get deep enough, consistently, on my squats. I have fiddled with form, foot placement, remembered to look down (usually), set my knees early, think KNEES OUT!, tried different cues. I think I am just wussing out. Can you tell me if I have any egregious technique errors?

Here is 190lb x4, the second last set of volume day on my TM-like program. (I also have a side view available, and rear 45 and side views of my ID 225lb squats (doubles), if you want them later).

Thank you so much for providing this service!

http://youtu.be/B7cpZsvp5WI

Your upper back is rounding a little on later reps, but your only real form error here is not going deep enough. Try descending a little faster. Keep your knees out. I predict that you will need a lighter weight. Going two or three inches deeper may challenge you a little. Where in Canada are you located?

I am located in Winnipeg, which is just north of Fargo. It's pretty far from any SS coaches, at least 1000km to the nearest one. (I've looked).

I will reset and work on just getting down there (that's what she said.)

Ok. Just finished volume day squats. Deloaded to 180lb. Here is my 5th set. Better?

Bah, forgot the link. 180lb squats set 5: http://youtu.be/Zkh5n7DMz5g
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 03-03-2015 at 01:13 AM.

Depth looked pretty good on those. Descend a little more quickly and smoothly. See if that helps you utilize the stretch reflex better. Also, shoot a video directly from behind. This is not just a booty shot request, but it looks like you may be shifting a bit to the right in the video on a rep or two and I want to confirm if that is or is not the case. Sorry about the paucity of SS Coaches in the area. We are working on finding new ones, but they are few and far between.

I do shift bit sometimes. The bar moves forward on the left, probably because I am stronger on the right. Not sure if it happens here. Third set at 185lb.

185lb squats 3rd set: http://youtu.be/tduIxorAk18

My suspicions were incorrect. You are not significantly or consistently shifting to the side. Work hard to keep your knees out on the ascent. Other than that, carry on. Nice work.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Tom!