starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obese 5'4" 265 Pounds - Never Lifted Weights - Can I do Starting Strength?

Default Obese 5'4" 265 Pounds - Never Lifted Weights - Can I do Starting Strength?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark,

I am a morbidly obese male. I am 5'4" and currently weight 265 pounds. I have never lifted free weights (dumbbells or barbell) in my life. I have committed to getting to my target weight of 137 pounds. I have lost 35 pounds so far.

I am eating less, eating healthy (non-packaged, high lean protein, low carb) and exercising 5 days a week at the gym. I am doing 80% Cardio (elliptical, treadmill, etc) and 20% weight machines. I have not seen much progress at all from the weight machines.

After buying your book (Starting Strength) and buying the Starting Strength DVD I understand what I should be doing, but I have no idea if I can. My gym (I live in North Dallas in Allen, TX) has all the equipment, but I am scared to try anything with the free weights since I have never used them at all. I did try to squat with just the bar by myself and realized I cannot get the bar below the back of my neck as is required based on your book and DVD. I also don't think I can squat low enough and keep my feet planted and not arch my back.

I was wondering:

1) Should I be doing Starting Strength at this body weight and lack of flexibility?

2) Should I bother to keep doing the weight machines (arms, legs, abs)?

3) Since I live in Allen, TX (which is just 2.5 hours from Wichita Falls, TX) would it be possible for me to go up to your gym for a couple of days to get some basic guidance for someone like me that has never done this at all?

4) Do you know of anything in this area (North Dallas, Dallas, etc) that could give a complete and total beginner like me some help?

I just need to figure out how to even get started or even if I should be doing this yet at all.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I really want to do this right and just need some help.

Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Seems to me like what you've been doing is working pretty well. If you cannot mechanically execute the positions required in barbell training, due to obesity, you're probably still a few months away from being able to. Stay The Course.

Found these articles by Andy Baker that might give you a pragmatic sense of the way forward;

http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...-obese-part-1/
    http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...-obese-part-2/

...good articles.

Found these articles by Andy Baker that might give you a pragmatic sense of the way forward;
    ...good advice.

Mark thanks for your response. I worry that I don't even know for sure if I can or can't execute the form correctly since there is no one really looking at what I am doing. It may be that I just physically cannot do it yet, but at the same time there should be some kind of exercises that I can do that will help with flexibility or places where I am stiff.

I looked over the two articles Giri and they are great and exactly talk about what I am looking for. Example, I saw a video that Mark made titled "The Leg Press and its proper use in a gym." This is the kind of thing that I wonder if it applies to me or not?

I was able to get ahold of someone at the Wichita Falls Athletic Club (Nick Delgadillo) and plan to head up there on April 11th and 12th so that they can help me get started. I have a local gym that I am a member of and they have all the equipment, but no one to guide me or point out problems with form or movements. I plan to take some of the basics I learn with Nick at the Wichita Falls Athletic Club and apply it at my local gym. I then plan to go back as needed to keep moving forward and correct any mistakes I am making.

I feel like I have made lots of progress with diet and cardio, but I have noticed that my weight loss may be much more than just fat and I don't want to lose the little muscle I have. I know I can't build muscle on a caloric loss, but I don't need to lose the muscle I have either. So I think getting into Starting Strength is long overdue. My goal is to do Starting Strength one day and Cardio the next. All while eating high protein, low carb and seeing how far that takes me.

I am really committed to succeeding and changing my life!

Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

Sounds like a Plan.

Jean-Marie-

For the obese, like the elderly, the focus in the weightroom needs to be on the things that you can do well, with an eye towards the future. You are right, your program right now might be as much machine based as it is barbell based, but with continued weight loss, that will change. When you get to WFAC learn how to rack pull, bench, leg press, lat pull, and push a prowler

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Marie View Post
    I know I can't build muscle on a caloric loss
    More good news. In this instance, you most likely can for quite a while.

Thanks Andy! I will keep that in mind and mention this to Nick Delgadillo. I hope I am not too handicapped by my inflexibility and fat gut. At the very least I want to better understand what I SHOULD be able to do, what the proper form is made up of so that, as you say, I can have an eye towards the future and have a goal to shoot for.

Thanks,
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

starting strength coach development program
    If you keep attaching your e-mail to board posts, bad things may happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast