starting strength gym

Thread: air leak on valsalva during squat rebound

Default air leak on valsalva during squat rebound

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I did post in the general training section about this problem ive been having but the guys there didn't have any experience of it, so following a search that came up blank I thought I'd see if you have come across this.

What is happening is that on the squat, at the rebound point, I get a small 'grunt' of an air leak. I'm taking big air, I'm tensing my abs up hard (with belt) and I'm holding the valsalva with my glottis. I didn't have this problem when I first started squatting its developed in the last few months (alongside some reflux and eustachian tube problems). I guess all this could be related.

It only happens at the rebound point on the squat. My theory is that this is the point of maximum compression of my midsection and its contents, and for some reason I cannot hold the increase in air pressure at this point. Its totally involuntary. As I said it is a small grunt (felt and heard inside the throat) at the rebound lasting less than a second. A tiny bit of air comes out. As I rise up out of the hole again and straighten my torso the pressure reduces and it stops, all of which takes probably only a second or so.

Im concerned about 2 things. First, that I could somehow have damaged my glottis and this is related to my ear and throat issues, and second that it is compromising my ability to stay tight when at the rebound position. I certainly do not like the feeling I get of the slight loss in IAP at the rebound point where it is most needed.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
    Dan

A small grunt is not a problem, although a person in voluntary control of his body ought to be able to figure out a way to stop. You can make it stop. Just STOP. Be quiet. Your glottis will survive, even if you don't..

I also have an occasional air leak issue during heavy squats, but it usually is coming from my posterior.

Thanks rip its good to know its nothing to worry about. Im trying as hard as i can not to do it, air just leaks past on its own. It wouldn't be a grunt anyone else could hear, just that i can hear that kind of noise inside my throat.

It could be that you're improperly performing the valsalva. Some people "hold their breath" when they swim with their lips and mouth.

I have seen people post about that here before. I have my mouth slightly open to prevent me doing that. Its definately a small amount of air passing through my throat. The grunt 'sound' I described was the only way I could think to describe it, but its not a vocal cord sound. I can just feel that the internal sound is from deep inside my throat. If anyone sometimes gets funny noises gurgly coming from their throats? Its kind of like that but only when I squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    I also have an occasional air leak issue during heavy squats, but it usually is coming from my posterior.
    My first thought on reading the subject heading was "Which end?"