starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Hamstring Soreness

Default Squat Hamstring Soreness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a novice lifter who has been at it for a little while now lifting seriously for 8 months or so. For whatever reason when I squat, it always seems like my hamstrings are by far the sorest part of my legs. My quads are really not very sore. I've been trying to figure out why this is and haven't come up with anything so far. Most resources I've found seem to say that squatting should cause very little if any hamstring soreness, including this thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=30647

But in SS:BBT Mark mentions that the movements that cause soreness are usually the eccentric components, so squats certainly qualify. It seems like if you are using your hamstrings to lower a heavy load it would imply that substantial hamstring soreness should be expected?

So my first question: What am I misunderstanding?

I've re-read the squat section of SS:BBT and done my best to make sure my form is all right. I'm sure it's not perfect but I don't think I'm doing anything terribly wrong. I am currently doing 5x5 sets for roughly body weight(I've had to deload a couple times) and I don't really feel like I am maxing out honestly, but my soreness is significant enough I feel like I should dial back a bit. I am also not very flexible/don't have great balance. I'm wondering if this could be causing it? Or maybe I just have weak hamstrings? Could it be that simple?

I think you're misunderstanding the role of the hamstrings in the squat. The hamstrings primary role is to support the back angle in a squat. During the part of the Range of motion where the back/hip segments are dealing with the most moment force from the bar, the hamstrings are not changing length to any appreciable degree, and are therefore not exposed to much eccentric loading. Eccentric loading is the part that produces DOMS. If your hamstrings are sore, you've either misinterpreted the movement instructions, or you're allowing some part of the bottom of the movement to turn into a goodmorning. Post a video.

Thanks for the reply Mark. You're right, I am allowing the bottom of my squat to turn into a good morning. I think I've been doing it in an attempt to get a little deeper into the squat since I lack flexibility. Any advice on how to train myself out of the habit?

I believe this is covered in the book.

Where are you at in terms of your dead lift in relation to your squat? In 'Merican?

This is interesting. So if my hamstrings are sore, does that mean I am doing something wrong? If so, I am really confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrad1935 View Post
    This is interesting. So if my hamstrings are sore, does that mean I am doing something wrong? If so, I am really confused...
    If your hamstrings are sore from squats, it means you're probably doing something wrong. Do you have a video?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    If your hamstrings are sore from squats, it means you're probably doing something wrong. Do you have a video?
    Here is me doing 3 sets of 8 at 225. Don't remember which set this was

http://youtu.be/U4VqfM5LOjc

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrad1935 View Post
    Here is me doing 3 sets of 8 at 225. Don't remember which set this was

http://youtu.be/U4VqfM5LOjc
    See how your hips move backwards instead of straight up out of the hole? Fix that.

starting strength coach development program
    Huh. So it seems likes it's really my knees moving back? I'll have to check other videos and see if that is a new movement pattern. So, that is causing my hammies to be sore?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast