starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squat form check!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Given your apparent hip flexibility, if I were there in person, I'd try to get your stance as narrow as possible while maintaining depth and stability. This should help involve the glutes and hammies better, so your quads aren't doing all the lifting.
    You think that would help? I'll try it next time! But i don't think my flexibility is that good, given the apparent buttwink when i squat high bar...

I can't say for sure from the video, but you might be overextending your back a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I can't say for sure from the video, but you might be overextending your back a little bit.
    Yeah i tend to do that, i've had that problem in the past. Not sure how to fix it.. any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by tomschelfaut View Post
    Yeah i tend to do that, i've had that problem in the past. Not sure how to fix it.. any tips?
    Yep. Get a belt from Dean Best + focus hard on contracting the rectus abs when you squat.

I think this is the case and at the bottom the spine is actually closer to neutral. (It's why I asked for frame captures, you're making it too easy!)
    I didn't realize you were being Socratic. A pox upon me.

no homo bro
    Indeed.

You mean your feet are angled less, or that you're not shoving your knees out as much? I don't think I agree with your conclusion if you mean the latter.
    Nope, meant the former (mine were probably closer to 45* prior to yesterday); feet angled less with knees shoved out as hard as needed to keep knees over toes.

Yep. Get a belt from Dean Best + focus hard on contracting the rectus abs when you squat.
    A belt? can't i fix it without one, i'd like to postpone using gear as long as possible... And what are the rectus abs? If you mean squeeze my ass i do that hard, but it gets loose halfway the descent.

Quote Originally Posted by tomschelfaut View Post
    A belt? can't i fix it without one, i'd like to postpone using gear as long as possible... And what are the rectus abs? If you mean squeeze my ass i do that hard, but it gets loose halfway the descent.
    rectus abdominis are the 6-pack muscle. Also, "gear" is a loaded term, but if you believe the belt will hold back your strength gains, or is some form of cheating, you're mistaken about its function, and I recommend this article:

http://startingstrength.com/articles...ear_gibson.pdf

starting strength coach development program
    rectus abdominis are the 6-pack muscle. Also, "gear" is a loaded term, but if you believe the belt will hold back your strength gains, or is some form of cheating, you're mistaken about its function, and I recommend this article:

http://startingstrength.com/articles...ear_gibson.pdf
    Great article thanks man! I'll get me a belt then.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234