starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So 1900 people

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    can you guys clear something up for me?

When they write 9 minutes AMRAP, then specify the number of reps for each exercise, do they mean as many rounds as possible? Do they only count completed rounds, or do you get partial points if you do the full list 3 times, then only get through the 15 toe to bars?
    As Sean put, it's the norm to count individual reps. Unless otherwise stated, you have to perform the movements in order, up to the specified amount, until you can move to the next movement. Once you finish all the movements, you restart at the beginning. If you got, for example, through 3 total rounds of that workout, and then time expired after you did 7 deadlifts in the 4th round, your score would be 112.

Quote Originally Posted by atb5161 View Post
    That's my point though. If there were large amount of people interested in watching dudes run 40s for 2 hours, why isn't the combine on NBC/ESPN? While I think the tests at the combine are cool as shit myself, I don't think many people in the larger viewer base are interested in watching that stuff.
    You have to be careful with this line of logic. Plenty of extraordinarily popular shows have been denied access to network TV. The UFC was for years. The Walking Dead on AMC. Breaking Bad on AMC. Most of HBOs shows could never be on network TV. There's a reason for basic cable broadcasting beyond popularity. ESPN is a good home for this type of event - along with crossfit.

I think powerlifting, olympic lifting, and T&F are all awesome spectacles of human performance. But the unfortunate fact is, that outside of a few individual niche communities, they're boring as shit. Crossfit may very well fall into that same category in a few years. Time will tell.
    Powerlifting: yes. Weightlifting: no. People tend to be much more impressed by the quick lifts. Is it soccer or MMA? Of course not. And it's hard to argue that crossfit isn't far worse than both simply due to the monotony of it. A 10 minute event is almost impossible to watch. Maybe it's better than powerlifting. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atb5161 View Post
    thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

Powerlifting: yes. Weightlifting: no. People tend to be much more impressed by the quick lifts. Is it soccer or MMA? Of course not. And it's hard to argue that crossfit isn't far worse than both simply due to the monotony of it. A 10 minute event is almost impossible to watch. Maybe it's better than powerlifting. IDK.
    maybe set up powerlifting as a ladder - set up all the squat stands with different weights and the competitors get start where they are able. Would make it more watchable, and gets through the lifts quicker

Shouldn't the max effort clean and jerk have been first and the rest come after? I saw some appalingly performed max attempts because of people being so fucking fatigued.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    Shouldn't the max effort clean and jerk have been first and the rest come after? I saw some appalingly performed max attempts because of people being so fucking fatigued.
    The goal wasn't necessarily to post a true 1rm clean and jerk. Part of what makes it a crossfit event is performing under fatigue. So while it would be better for their clean&jerk (and arguably their safety to some), that wasn't necessarily the point of this test.

On the other hand, some people managed to PR their clean&jerk in the second part of 15.1a. It seems like a product of training crossfit as their sport rather than coming from another sport already strong and excelling at crossfit as a byproduct of that strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post
    They're counting the total number of reps, but there is a maximum number of reps per movement per cycle. You don't have to do the maximum number of reps, but you have to do at least one.
    Interesting. When I did crossfit we were required to do every rep each round.

Fuck that. The games are super lame. A good Crossfit style event would be

max: squat, clean and press, clean and jerk, snatch
    40 time, 800 time, 1500 time
    Atlas stones, SVJ, farmers walks

Something like that. Over a week. Id actually watch that. Oh and don't change he fucking events.
    After my own lifts were over, I got bored watching the powerlifting meet I competed in. I couldn't imagine the suspense and intrigue required to keep me on the couch, enraptured with watching a bunch of people squat in the mid-400s.

...Plenty of extraordinarily popular shows have been denied access to network TV..... The Walking Dead on AMC. Breaking Bad on AMC.
    Not that I disagree with your sentiments, because I don't per se'. Please provide proof that these two shows were first pitched to major networks and were denied. Also on the HBO point, those shows are not on network television because HBO is a paid premium service which can afford to produce (for the most part) better quality shows without commercials and without regulation as to what they can show and say. It's not about major networks..

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    After my own lifts were over, I got bored watching the powerlifting meet I competed in. I couldn't imagine the suspense and intrigue required to keep me on the couch, enraptured with watching a bunch of people squat in the mid-400s.
    This is the niche the SPF fills: unlike the USAPL, SPF meets are fun for spectators. Squats are half-depth, but nobody cares when big numbers are getting thrown around and the announcer is hyped. Rap and metal are blaring loud. Everyone's hanging out chatting at the back of the room, eating good and cheap barbecue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234