starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All my lifts are around intermediate or higher besides my bench?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri743u View Post
    I also have an picture of my strength status: http://i.imgur.com/q48opyB.png
    where you can see that my other lifts are great.
    This picture doesn't say what you think it says.

Intermediate, as the term is used here, refers to your speed of recovery from the disruption of homeostasis caused by lifting, not hitting some arbitrary line on a silly graph.

I've read Starting strength my form is good trust me, and i've read a bit of Practical programming, but i'm concerned if i should make that switch to TM now? Already? Or what are you suggesting?
    This is the only activity you will ever see where advancement comes from failure! The move to advanced novice and intermediate is about when you are failing. Try a back off period with 10 to 20% less first then work back up and over if you are failing. The real question to me about move onto advanced novice or intermediate is how do you feel. Are the weights in general getting to a point where it is hard to recover? What is your age range? Those over 35 may need to move to advance novice and intermediate before someone in their 20's. Lifting iron is hard work and as you get older it is hard to recover.

I moved to advanced novice before a back off period on the squat simply because I wasn't feeling well. My body wasn't recovering like I felt it should. Learn to listen to your body. It is much better than hard and fast rules. Notice coach Rippetoe uses for most people a lot and has some slack in his advice. Everyone is different and responds differently. Moving from novice to advance novice to intermediate is not about the weight you do like the rip off of SS says it is about when you need to lighten up so your body can handle the stress and keep going instead of constantly hitting walls.

I think it is hard to move to advanced novice or intermediate for one lift. Especially if it is bench which you are doing every other workout or dead lift which is every 5th workout. When your squats hit a wall or you just feel like you are not recovering well anymore more to a light day. The heavier nature of the entire workout will affect your lighter lifts too. When you use all your energy getting the last rep on the squat you can bet it will affect your performance on the bench. You only have so much in the tank. If you look at practical programing you will see how the programs TM or TSSS variant will incorporate all lifts into the program. I would just back off and work back up until your squat hits a wall or you feel your recovery isn't where it should be. Then move to advanced novice or intermediate.

6'2" 210lbs and stalling on the bench at 182lbs? Does anyone else think that maybe he's not eating enough? 3500cals for a dude that size doesn't sound like very much

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    But his moobs look good already from the bro-split.

Honestly, if he were running even a bro-split and eating and working hard, his bench should be around 100kg.
    Maybe he's running a troll-split.

This is what i wanted to hear and simple theory to comprehend. I'll try the deload now but does it really have to be 10%?
    Are you joking? A 10% drop is only 18 pounds for you. You will be back to the weight in 2-3 weeks. increasing by 5 pounds a workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    But his moobs look good already from the bro-split.

Honestly, if he were running even a bro-split and eating and working hard, his bench should be around 100kg.
    I think we should give him a pass if he can do the titty dance with his pecs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123