starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All my lifts are around intermediate or higher besides my bench?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yes i have my form is correct, retracted scapula, arch as high as possible with ass on bench, but one thing i do is i dont tuck my elbows much in? But it's not like i flare them out all the way? Could that be a issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Chri743u View Post
    I don't see how resetting a lift will help me increase it? Can you explain the theory/science behind it, thanks agian. And how would you add more volume into the standard SS program?
    Sometimes a second run at linear progression yields a bit more progress than the first run. To add more volume, one option would be to do 2 more sets of 5 after your 3 x 5 with 5-10% less. You could do the same on your press as well. Or add a related movement as assistance, like DB bench, weighted dips, or LTE's.

I do 2 sets of dips till failure around 11 reps, should i change that up, should i maybe incorporate some close grip bench press instead or what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    One option would be to do 2 more sets of 5 after your 3 x 5 with 5-10% less.
    I'd do this.

Regarding the 10% deload: In a perfect world you'd be perfectly recovered every 48 hours. But, if you're working with even a small fatigue deficit (say you're 98% recovered every 48 hours), you're working at 6% reduced ability to produce force in a single week. The deload provides opportunity for recovery to catch up.

This is what i wanted to hear and simple theory to comprehend. I'll try the deload now but does it really have to be 10%?

This is what i wanted to hear and simple theory to comprehend. I'll try the deload now but does it really have to be 10%?
    I like 10%. It's not important that you're benching 205x5x3 in a couple months. It's important that your benching 295x5x3 in a couple of years. Every short term decision should be driven by logic of the long-term.

I don't think i need more hypertrophy since my chest i decently defined from the brosplit i did at the start of my training career.

I don't think i need more hypertrophy since my chest i decently defined from the brosplit i did at the start of my training career.
    Post a picture to Rips section of your chest to make sure.

Chest is only one part of the bench equation.

starting strength coach development program
    Given your height and weight, I doubt that you've reached the end of your linear progression. I second or third the advice above. I've had marginal success with resetting the bench. I hit the same sticking point twice. It's surely a good idea to try, since all these people with lots of experience say it often works. But I found that simply adding more volume was the key, just like Adam suggested above. I haven't been able to progress without doing 5 to 6 sets, three heavy and 2 to 3 back off. . . . Then I had to microload, 2-3 pounds jumps. And then I turned to sets of 3. I've been making steady progress like this for months. Everyone is different, but I'm your height and about 6 pounds heavier and my work sets were 268lbs today. Not great, but good for me. When it comes time, the advanced novice advice in PPST3 pp.95-98 is great. It works!

One thing I haven't seen above is the suggestion that you might try more high rep upper back work. My bench has progressed much more quickly now that I'm doing 6 sets of inverted rows and some reverse flys on what would be pressing days. (I haven't been able to overhead press for 8 months. . . .) I used to do the same with chinups and pullups, but I don't think they helped as much. I'm not sure why. In any case, my shoulders are now pain free and I'm a hell of lot more stable and thicker. It seems to have translated to a better bench.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast