starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Training With Cancer

Default Strength Training With Cancer

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip, I had a hard time finding specific responses from you regarding some general discussions about strength training with cancer.

My brother was diagnosed with a rare form of melanoma in his eye about 6 years ago. He went through radiation treatment and has been doing great the last 5 years. They recently discovered that it may have spread to his liver (we'll know more next week). He has been doing some good things with his diet and he recently joined a gym. My guess is that he'll play around on the machines for a while and then jog on the treadmill or elliptical.

I want to encourage him to do some real barbell lifting, but wanted to get your thoughts/experience with the benefits of strength training with cancer. I have to imagine strengthening the musculoskeletal system will have a positive impact.

I've built a great garage gym (I'm usually focusing more on the Olympic lifts, but would help him through a SS routine) and would really like to encourage him to come lift with me, but sometimes your friends/family would rather take the advice of someone else...

I appreciate everything you do for the health & fitness community, Rip! Thanks in advance!

Training with cancer is not really a problem, unless it's bone or muscle cancer, in which case structural integrity is the problem. In your brother's situation, he can train, and he should.

Thanks for the reply, Rip! It's pretty awesome that you take the time to reply to everyone's questions.

If anyone out there has any articles or other info on the matter that you think would be helpful, please share. It would be much appreciated!

Not particularly relevant regarding strength training... but this recent episode of Vice discusses the recent improvements made in curing cancer. They discuss new, innovative, and EFFECTIVE ways to kill cancer - using viruses and diseases that normally hurt us, like HIV. Seriously, it is fucking amazing and legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SvBAjXGyQ

This particular cancer is metastatic melanoma. Not a good one to have to deal with.

Just last night I managed to convince my 86-year-old grandfather to take up strength training. He has two very slow-growing forms of cancer: one in the prostate, and another diagnosed last week - leukaemia of the blood. Both are considered mild and aren't alarming the doctors terribly, which is a "good" sign.

I'm planning, in addition to obviously being as intelligently conservative in weight-selection as possible, to have him deadlift/rack pull, bench press, do cable (lat) pulldowns and some form of either chair get-ups or squats while holding onto a rail or support.

Nothing strenuous, as he also has anemia, but I'm sure damn glad I have a copy of PPST3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This particular cancer is metastatic melanoma. Not a good one to have to deal with.
    My 28yo sister-in-law recently had melanoma removed from her back, and there was some temporary concern it may have spread. Fortunately it hadn't, but until that was determined the family did some research and met with her oncologist a couple times. Apparently some newer medicines can greatly slow the spread of melanoma and extend life expediencies significantly. Best of luck to OP's brother.

Quote Originally Posted by CGriff13 View Post
    Hey Rip, I had a hard time finding specific responses from you regarding some general discussions about strength training with cancer.

My brother was diagnosed with a rare form of melanoma in his eye about 6 years ago. He went through radiation treatment and has been doing great the last 5 years. They recently discovered that it may have spread to his liver (we'll know more next week). He has been doing some good things with his diet and he recently joined a gym. My guess is that he'll play around on the machines for a while and then jog on the treadmill or elliptical.

I want to encourage him to do some real barbell lifting, but wanted to get your thoughts/experience with the benefits of strength training with cancer. I have to imagine strengthening the musculoskeletal system will have a positive impact.

I've built a great garage gym (I'm usually focusing more on the Olympic lifts, but would help him through a SS routine) and would really like to encourage him to come lift with me, but sometimes your friends/family would rather take the advice of someone else...

I appreciate everything you do for the health & fitness community, Rip! Thanks in advance!
    There is a fairly robust correlation to amount of weight loss in cancer patients and overall survivability. Those that can stave off weight loss have significantly higher rates of survivability.

And that's why he should train.

starting strength coach development program
    Mark, have you trained anyone with bone cancer? What were the results?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast