starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strength Training With Cancer

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have not, nor would I.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chubbins View Post
    Mark, have you trained anyone with bone cancer? What were the results?
    Is this a serious question?

Mr. Chubbins lacks an appreciation for the function of skeletal components in the leverage system.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Can't be. I had a great dog pass due to osteosarcoma 15 months ago.
    It's like the bone is exploding in slow motion, rapidly enlarging and being replaced by brittle cancer cells.
    It's extremely painful for dogs the most humane treatment is euthanasia. For humans I believe the treatment is amputation.

There is a fairly robust correlation to amount of weight loss in cancer patients and overall survivability. Those that can stave off weight loss have significantly higher rates of survivability.
    I'm going to hypothesize that a more direct correlation to OS would be degree of liver dysfunction, not the weight loss itself, which is just another symptom of a failing liver. Those who seem to be "staving off" weight loss might in actuality just be getting luckier with the amount of damage their mets are able to inflict.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I'm going to hypothesize that a more direct correlation to OS would be degree of liver dysfunction, not the weight loss itself, which is just another symptom of a failing liver. Those who seem to be "staving off" weight loss might in actuality just be getting luckier with the amount of damage their mets are able to inflict.
    Amazing that all of the research into cancer cachexia has seemingly been in vain, as the answer is apparently liver dysfunction.

You do realize that cancer kills in other ways than just liver failure, right?

Yes I do. My dad has it and it is in qazi remission, aka it's been stabilized and not getting worse for the last 4 or 5 years. He is 69 and still works as a yacht and boat technician and mechanic. Carries heavy chit every day and works his ass of but takes it a bit easier due to the skeletal damage. He has weened himself of all pain meds and only takes them when it gets really bad. Yeah he's a chingon. This was the first winter sine remission that he did not go skiing due to cholesterol meds doing a number on his ligaments around his knees.

So yes I am quite serious. I am very curious if a slow deliberate LP adapted for his condition could cause his ribs and spine to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I think you may have a poor understanding of cancer cachexia if you attribute it to a failing liver.

John W amputation when the bone cancer is in your ribs and spine is kind of a non starter. Luckily the newest treatment involved seriously strong meds, bone growth meds followed by autologous stem cell transplant after a mother of a chemo therapy. Painful as a frack.

And to top it of my dog developed it too about 5 years ago and had to be put down.
    Yeah, good times. .....

starting strength coach development program
    I was diagnosed with testicular cancer two and a half years ago. I was lucky in that it was seminoma type and early stage 1. I went under the knife and had a testicle removed and then a couple of months later underwent 30 days of radiation treatment. My urologist encouraged me to get back under the bar "as soon as I felt able." He was emphatic that he was not concerned about anything internal from the surgery being impacted, but cautioned me to watch my incision. My urologist encouraged me to train as soon as I was able to and to continue to train through my radiation treatment. He specifically emphasized the importance of maintaining weight/gaining muscle mass and both doctors cited my strength as one of the reasons they were confident in a speedy recovery from treatment, long term potential for a healthy life, and my ability to handle the radiation treatment as well as I did. On all of my follow up visits, both docs continue to express their pleasure in the fact that I train and am strong. And both state that they wish more of their patients would utilize resistance training.

I recognize that testicular cancer is not in the same scope/severity as other forms, but it is still CANCER and a shitty fucking experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast