starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Feigenbaum Project

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    . . . if you guys get the numbers your shooting . . .
    When they get to deploying an "app", Apple ResearchKit might help increase the numbers:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/sports/...kling-science/

Vince

I'm going to assume that things are unfolding more slowly than initially planned, because that is almost always how data collection goes.
    It's a little slower than planned, as we're retooling a few of the metrics. On the other hand, IRB approval is almost complete :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's a little slower than planned, as we're retooling a few of the metrics. On the other hand, IRB approval is almost complete :-)
    Awesome.

Having to deal with IRB sucks so bad. I understand why it's important, and all that, but it's still obnoxious to deal with. Especially because--in my experience, at least--the training materials for it are just awful.

Also, I'm going to take this moment to recommend a "Reps for SCIENCE" T-shirt.

Caveats: I have not been coached and am "self-taught" in th SS method.

Is the way we determine starting 5RM really a good judge of a 5 RM for this project? The method for initial 5RM suggested for the project was bar speed slowing plus coach's judgement. I mean as of last week my 5RM was 320. But my bar speed slows at 185 during warm ups. It seems our starting weight for 3x5 isn't even close. Would it be more feasible/accurate to do at least two weeks of training before testing the 5RM?

Thoughts?

Can I ask why you're including the "HIPAA Document"? A SS coach isn't a covered entity, even if he's an MD who works (in his other job) for a covered entity. If you're just being transparent about privacy and use of personal data, that's a good thing, but I'd suggest avoiding reference to HIPAA (and unnecessary compiance) if you can. I should say that I know nothing about clinical research, but a whole lot about HIPAA privacy and security (as a lawyer for a health plan & provider).

Jordan,

Love the project. Another project, which will not be as nice but would still yield a lot of interesting information would be to data-mine the logs on this site and run analysis against it.

Good luck!
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Another project, which will not be as nice but would still yield a lot of interesting information would be to data-mine the logs on this site and run analysis against it.
    Jordan, would it be possible, and worthwhile, to develop a data entry site based on Gene's suggestion? If there was a data base entry form associated with screened participants, you could have a large database of participants and their training. The data entry could be user ID and password protected so you would know the participant and ensure the data entered was from that person. If you let it run for a period of time you would have a significant amount of data attributed to individuals where you know the particular biometric data they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by JimtheConquerer View Post
    Caveats: I have not been coached and am "self-taught" in th SS method.

Is the way we determine starting 5RM really a good judge of a 5 RM for this project? The method for initial 5RM suggested for the project was bar speed slowing plus coach's judgement. I mean as of last week my 5RM was 320. But my bar speed slows at 185 during warm ups. It seems our starting weight for 3x5 isn't even close. Would it be more feasible/accurate to do at least two weeks of training before testing the 5RM?

Thoughts?
    We work up to a starting weight (when bar speed slows) then we use our judgement to add more weight for another set of 5. When we see form break down and we are reasonably sure additional weight would be careless on our part we have found a 5rm.

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    Will things actually change? I am excited.
    If 'the study' is accepted as undeniable truth, and "it" catches on . . . alot of people will be put out of business and lose their jobs (or certain demands for 'things' will be greatly reduced).
    Certain people / entities won't be able to re-tool: PT's; makers of worthless exercise machines; doctors; big pharma; etc . . . the interesting part will be to see how all this gets "spun" (discredited) for these people to keep doing what they are doing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    alot of people will be put out of business and lose their jobs (or certain demands for 'things' will be greatly reduced). Certain people / entities won't be able to re-tool: PT's; makers of worthless exercise machines; doctors; big pharma; etc .
    I don't know that this study is destined to shake the foundations of big pharma, but provided things go well, it could become a very valuable tool for those who need to point to data establishing the efficacy barbell training. As you have pointed out, however, establishing facts only goes so far when it comes to convincing people. The debate surrounding evolution is a vivid reminder of this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast