starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Press: The Art of Manliness

Default The Press: The Art of Manliness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I appreciated the illustration of impingement using the scapula bone and all the time spent discussing it.

A lot of the time when I press I get some sort of injury in my upper back on the right side near the spine going up into the neck. I haven't been able to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I'm suspecting its failing to keep the head stable during the explosive part of the movement. Am I on the right track here?

Could be. You have a video?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    I appreciated the illustration of impingement using the scapula bone and all the time spent discussing it.
    +1 ^ . . . I never really understood the impingement thing until now.
    2D Drawings in textbooks suck trying to figure some of this stuff out.
    Those model classroom skeletons that are wired together don't move right.
    Putting the scapula right on the lifters back and moving it around thru the ROM, etc was very useful.

The lack of gardening comments must be refreshing although apparently you're still fat according to the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    My physical therapist mentioned the possibility of impingement during an overhead press today, so I told him about Rip's illustration of how the scapula rotates to prevent it. He said, in some cases, due to weak musculature or something in the scapular area, the scapula doesn't rotate enough and you can still get an impingement.

This seems as good a place as any to ask this question that has bugged me for a long time:

I completely understand why the shrug moves the scapula in a way so as to prevent the impingement. But when you say shrug to finish the press, is this to mean it's not done during the movement, but only at the end? Or should the shrugging be started as soon as you begin to press the bar from your resting position?

I don't know if I'm making that clear.

Thumbs up +1

+1

It was a eye opener for me.

Thanks again Mr. Rippetoe.

Those who are about to press say thank you...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    My physical therapist mentioned the possibility of impingement during an overhead press today, so I told him about Rip's illustration of how the scapula rotates to prevent it. He said, in some cases, due to weak musculature or something in the scapular area, the scapula doesn't rotate enough and you can still get an impingement.
    He's wrong too. You must be seeing dpg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast