starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older lifter with Thoracic Problem

Default Older lifter with Thoracic Problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi. First post/question on this forum. I am 49 yoa and have been lifting most of my life. 3 years ago I got into strength training and have done/started the Starting strength routine as well as Bill Starr's 5x5. I can last for a while (month or so), but end up switching to volume training without squats, deadlifts and overhead presses because my thorasic area gets stiff as a board. Finally got an MRI that shows T10-T12 height loss and a bulge. Again recently I started doing squats, deadlifts and OP with the hope of different results, but my back is stiffening up again. In the morning it takes a good 2 hours before I am fairly comfortable. I love squats and deadlifts. Am I doomed to drop these from my routine? I know I'm not getting any younger and I'm sure some of the damage is permanent. I have been to 4 chiros without any relief. I stretch proly 30 minutes a day. Any imput or suggestions would be appreciated. thks
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 03-27-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling

There's no mechanism by which stretching will solve your disc bulge. Where do you live? Are you near a Starting Strength Coach?

http://startingstrength.org/index.php/site/coaches

You also might get a review your form by way of a coach as Tom sort of suggested. I squatted and deadlifted for years with bad form and an achey back and finally gave them up entirely in my early 40's. Since I first semi-corrected my form and then got it fixed good and proper at a seminar with Rip and Company (thanks again Tom) my back is good to go at age 64. But then again, I don't have bulging discs.

Default I am in San Antonio Tx. I know the stretching won't do anything for the bulge or...

the compacted t10-t12. I'm not sure if an inversion table might or might not help. I will always continue to work out...I just hate giving up those compound exercises. Was hoping the back muscles might strengther up enough to overcome the problem...which i am assuming is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by motomc1 View Post
    the compacted t10-t12. I'm not sure if an inversion table might or might not help. I will always continue to work out...I just hate giving up those compound exercises. Was hoping the back muscles might strengther up enough to overcome the problem...which i am assuming is permanent.
    You live right near Steve Galvan. Go and see him. It will be worth your while. This is not something that we can really figure out over the Internet.

Thanks. i just googled him looks like he is TWO-TEN crossfit. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by motomc1 View Post
    What kind/how old is your mattress? It can make a HUGE difference.

It's either a Serly or Serti (?spelling) Firm mattress maybe 3-4 yrs old. Not the kind you can flip over. thks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What kind/how old is your mattress? It can make a HUGE difference.
    What kind do you recommend? I'm in the market for a new one. Sleep number?

starting strength coach development program
    If you can't get in to see Steve, I'm not that far away. It's worth a trip down I-10. We'll get you fixed up.

www.KingwoodStrength.com/strength-coaching/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast