starting strength gym
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: My squat seems all messed up.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What exactly causes the knees to keep moving forward? I don't feel like I have any control over that.

Personally I think your form is quite good now except asymmetric bar placement on your shoulders. I would still recommend also you to try wider stance if you see knee moving as a problem. In your case wider stance would allow more room for hip and stomach which now might push your knees forward at the bottom position.
    One guy at our gym (national champ. 685lbs squatter) has similar knee slide. He is belly guy who squats bit over shoulder width stance.
    Last edited by mZak; 04-28-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    What exactly causes the knees to keep moving forward? I don't feel like I have any control over that.
    They keep moving forward because they're not where they need to be early enough. You'll have limited control over them if they are not forward early enough & you still attempt to hit depth, because they simply need to be further forward for that to happen - and so you'll move them there rather than do an extreme fold at the hips & end up with your torso almost horizontal. Your video of the 24th (2nd set) showed how you can get them forward & largely keep them set there. Use your technique for that set as a base - it's better than you think it is. If you want to play with stance, you could go wider of course - which given your adductor problems could be a bit scary for you - or for a less extreme version you could try your feet rotated out a bit more to see if a slightly more open femur angle helps you minimize the slide. But I think that vid shows you're getting there - just need to dial it in.

Well I'm looking at the video and I can see that my knees hit the max forward position past the toes when the femurs are horizontal. How could my knees reach that spot sooner? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Well I'm looking at the video and I can see that my knees hit the max forward position past the toes when the femurs are horizontal. How could my knees reach that spot sooner? It doesn't make any sense to me.
    2nd set in the video. There's a tiny bit of travel after half way down. But nowhere near as much as you had previously. Look at your 3rd rep in particular though. Your knees set at around 45 degree thigh angle - they stop - they don't move forward again. That was the one man. You did it - you can keep doing it.

Hmmm I can see what you mean but I'm not sure what I did there. Is it some kind of subtle shift of the weight back or forward? I might need to deload in order to fix this, especially if I have to widen my stance.

Hmmm I can see what you mean but I'm not sure what I did there. Is it some kind of subtle shift of the weight back or forward? I might need to deload in order to fix this, especially if I have to widen my stance.
    You got your knees far forward enough early enough while keeping your knees out. All that remained to do keep the bar travelling up and down over your mid-foot was sit your ass back & down - your knees didn't need to go forward - so they didn't.

As you were short on depth a couple of reps in that set, as you work on it make sure you don't start the knees moving again to get the last inch or so. That might mean a back angle slightly closer to horizontal. Look at Figure 2-45 in SS. That guy with the cap is you. Long femurs relative to torso. Look at the back angle & where the knees end up. You can't be the other guy - even if your back might want to have his verticality, or you want to keep your tibias more upright - wont happen unless you do a sumo squat. You have to be cap guy do to low-bar. Get that knee in place early - like you have done - and let your hips do their thing.

So, somehow I need to "sit back" and let my torso go more horizontal?

So, somehow I need to "sit back" and let my torso go more horizontal?

Do whatever you did on that rep. 3rd rep - 2nd set. That gif compares about half way down with hitting bottom. You hit depth & slide was negligible - everything looks good. All because your knees were forward early enough. I mentioned the depth stuff because other reps in that same set were a bit short, and so you'll need to concentrate on staying with this version of hitting depth rather than going back to the knee slide way. You've got this.

starting strength coach development program
    Since that was a light day (255#), should I just deload to that when I start up again and try to fix this form problem once and for all?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast