starting strength gym

Thread: Citrulline malate - question about timing based on recent study

Default Citrulline malate - question about timing based on recent study

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This study:

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...Malate.29.aspx

Showed that 8g of citrulline malate ingested pre-workout resulted in improved performance of 60% sets to failure for various lower-body (machine) exercises.

I've seen the suggestion for citrulline malate specifically with a BCAA in the "what supp" thread - and various other times you've given it a thumbs up.

But the supp thread seems to indicate between meals and post-workout whereas this study seems to indicates pre-workout timing and a larger dosage.

Do you think this study has merit enough to consider a larger dosage with a different timing or is the current BCAA dosage and timing still the best bet?

Thanks!

But the supp thread seems to indicate between meals and post-workout whereas this study seems to indicates pre-workout timing and a larger dosage.
    Only bc it's already a part of the BCAA supplement I prefer personally.

Do you think this study has merit enough to consider a larger dosage with a different timing or is the current BCAA dosage and timing still the best bet?
    No. Citrulline malate has a very small effect as a stand alone. The study you reference shows minimal differences in total volume in 2 of the 3 exercises and because the intensity is so light, I think the 2-3 rep difference seen in hack squat exercise is likely due to other factors than CM. Then again, I don't think the supplement is totally bogus, just not terribly effective.

Not trying to threadjack...I put 3.5g (2.5g + the 1g in the Xtend) in my pre- and post-workout BCAA shakes. Is that too much, too little, too close together?

That'd be a fine dose if you are taking it.