starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am going to try to record again.. I didn't quite get the part of staying on my hips.. Does that mean am I reasing with the chest?

Do you have a log?

Hey, sorry didn't mean to say record, it was film again.

Here is my set today. I asked somebody to hold the camera but he didn't do a great job staying completely parallel, but i hope it can help.

Here is the set.

https://youtu.be/yJxNUpVVFus

Again, thanks for your comments.

Staying in the hips means that you keep pushing your ass up into the ceiling for the duration of the lift. Watch your squats carefully and you'll see that you lead with the hips out of the hole but then raise your chest as you hit your sticking point. This kills hip drive and kills the momentum. Drive those hips up the whole way and don't think about raising your chest. As for this latest video, I think the first rep was best because you committed to leaning over and sitting back. On the other reps you tried to maintain a more vertical back angle and didn't lean over more til later in the rep. Don't be afraid to lean over immediately and shove your ass back (i.e. sit back). Shove your knees out hard and rebound out of the bottom with confidence and sustained hip drive.

OK, thanks.. Going to try that

Hi,

I tried to push my knees a little bit more forward but it didn't feel quite good, i couldn't filmed myself but i couldn't even finish my five reps. When trying to push my knees more i didn't feel the bar was doing a veritcal path. I did notice too things, i think my stance was a little norrow, so i measeured my shoulder width and tried to stick to that. Also in the previous squat, i think the bar was not exactly under the scapula, so i lowered the bar a little. After this i felt much better, i felt actually pretty good, i wont say its perfect but it did felt better. I filmed myself again, here is the video, and i did some screenshots to see my vertical path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZaIwzTAQoQ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d4exkvgko...015_2.png?dl=0
    Last edited by algarciat; 04-12-2015 at 04:10 PM.

I would disregard the advice to push you knees forward. If your spinal erectors are sore it's a good indication that you are getting into your hips in the hole. Any forward knee travel, intentional or otherwise, will shorten the hamstrings dorsally and reduce hip drive.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarret Noll View Post
    Staying in the hips means that you keep pushing your ass up into the ceiling for the duration of the lift. Watch your squats carefully and you'll see that you lead with the hips out of the hole but then raise your chest as you hit your sticking point. This kills hip drive and kills the momentum. Drive those hips up the whole way and don't think about raising your chest. As for this latest video, I think the first rep was best because you committed to leaning over and sitting back. On the other reps you tried to maintain a more vertical back angle and didn't lean over more til later in the rep. Don't be afraid to lean over immediately and shove your ass back (i.e. sit back). Shove your knees out hard and rebound out of the bottom with confidence and sustained hip drive.
    I disagree here. I think OP does exactly correct when he gets to sticking point by pushing the bar back and starts straightening his hips. He starts with a hip drive to get out of bottom. That's exactly how successful squatters do.
    Good technique algarciat! One thing IMO. You may not have keep elbows nearly that much back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12