starting strength gym

Thread: Gyms in Burwood, Melbourne Australia

Default Gyms in Burwood, Melbourne Australia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I'll be visiting the area for a while so I wanted to know if there were any members in the area who could recommend a gym. I'll be staying near Deakin University. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just the basics: rack, olympic bar, etc. I would prefer for it to be under 100 AUD monthly. If you know of gyms where I could pay per session, that would be better.

Thanks
    Last edited by lmram; 03-31-2015 at 07:13 AM.

how far are you prepared to travel? I'd try to hit up the PTC gyms - there's one in south melbourne, and one south of burwood (somewhere between Rowville and frankston). very good lifting gyms

Kyle Schuant is based at Clayton. He has everything you need plus coaching if required.

Thanks for the recommendation, turnip.

If all you want is the equipment, imram, then you'll find most gyms have it nowadays, Crossfit has seen to that. It's all ironedge matrix gear and bumper plates, but with no chalk and nobody's allowed to drop the bar. Even Deakin Uni gym has the gear now I believe. Not sure about the rates, gyms in Melbourne vary a lot, $15-$25 a week, lower side if you're a uni student. Virtually no-one there will have any clue how to coach the lifts though.

If you want coaching then the number of worthwhile places drops dramatically. Fire me an email (KyleSchuant at gmail.com) and I'll give you a more detailed rundown on the places and coaches around.

Since I'm just new to the area and I have no car as of yet, I would prefer a place easy to get to from Deakin. If you guys could give me directions too, I would appreciate it.

get a myki card and learn how to use a tram! also, don't melbourne have a public bike system? There's your warm up done, and HIIT on the way home too!

Quote Originally Posted by lmram View Post
    Since I'm just new to the area and I have no car as of yet, I would prefer a place easy to get to from Deakin. If you guys could give me directions too, I would appreciate it.
    I don't know where Burswood/Deakin is, but I found the trip from the CBD to Clayton and back on a Sunday morning (via public transport) to be exceptionally easy.

Melbourne is a very easy city to get around was my take away.

And I second RugbySmartarse - get a Myki card, I was only in Melbourne for a weekend and found it to be a good investment. It would be essential if you're there for any extended period of time I imagine.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to see if I get into Deakin's gym or any other nearby first. I'll probably end up checking out Kyle's gym too. Looks like he has a good thing going.

starting strength coach development program
    I recommend seeing Kyle if you can, the coaching is worth it. Public transport is fairly cheap. Most gyms will have what you want gear wise. Find a PTC if you want powerlifting.