starting strength gym

Thread: Effect of cooking on starches (Washington post article)

Default Effect of cooking on starches (Washington post article)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Found this article on Washington post site. Basically it says that if you cook rice in a certain way you can signifcantly reduce the available calories. Curiouts to hear if there´s any truth to this or have you heard anything similar before?

"What we did is cook the rice as you normally do, but when the water is boiling, before adding the raw rice, we added coconut oil—about 3 percent of the weight of the rice you're going to cook," said Sudhair James, who presented his preliminary research at National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) on Monday. "After it was ready, we let it cool in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. That's it."

Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories

I'm sure if a starch is converted into a resistant starch and we can't do anything with it, then it's worth less calories. However, I would like to see a bit more data on the net caloric yield per volume of rice in this instance to see what the deal is.

I don't see how that applies to people who strength train / watch their nutrition.

Just eat less rice in a sitting - problem solved.

Besides, it's kind of wasteful to deliberately cook rice in such a way that the calories are reduced.

I don't see how that applies to people who strength train / watch their nutrition.
    Well there's a ton of people who train who are trying to lose weight and improving the satiety from a meal by increasing water/fiber content for a given level of calories would be an excellent way to improve satiety and result in a caloric deficit, if desired. Still, I hear what you're saying and it is true technically :-)