starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Story and A Question

Default Interesting Story and A Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,
    (for my question, please feel free to skip to the bottom)

I find myself in a unique position. I am a high school Special Ed teacher. Needless to say, I rarely have any interaction with the athletic department at my campus. This past week, my gym was closed to relocate to another location. Needing a place to train, I asked our head football coach if I could train in the school’s weight room after school. He said, “sure, no problem.” So Monday afternoon I went in and worked up to my work sets pulling 505 for 6. Did my accessory lifts and went home. It was clear while I was working up to my top set that I was getting some attention from afar, but I ignored it and didn’t think much of it.

Wednesday was medium squat day and heavy press day. It was, again, clear when I walked in to the coachs’ room that something was amiss, or rather, I was being acknowledged directly, by guys that just 2 days before didn’t really feel compelled to even smile at me. It was strange. I proceed to change and start squatting. I squatted 310 for 3 sets of 5. Going in to my last set, I noticed the head coach walk in and observe. After my last set of squats, the head football coach approached me and stated that they needed someone to assist coaching the Powerlifting Team at the school and would I be interested. I attempted to explain that I am not a powerlifter and do not compete, but he seemed to think more highly of me than I do of myself and reiterated that I would be of great help since I “clearly know what I am doing.” I graciously accepted and a few minutes later the Powerlifting Coach, who is one of the several assistant football coaches, enthusiastically came over and shook my hand, introduced himself, thanked me for agreeing to assist and stated that he while he “lifts weights” it was clear I really “knew what I was doing” and that he was excited to have me onboard and thankful for the help.

I have read SSBBT, PPST3, Strong Enough, Mean Ol Mr. Gravity, Wendler’s 531, and a tone of stuff on this forum, but I have never read anything specifically geared towards Powerlifting in a competitive environment. The season won’t start for about 8 months, so I have plenty of time to learn. I, also, am pretty confident that most everyone on the PL team are beginner/intermediate lifters. I have seen some impressive numbers posted in the weight room, but am skeptical of their true merit. Most will be off season football players and I would guess (based on what I have seen in the weight room), many will need some coaching on form and some more intelligent programming. I am not saying these are not strong kids. Just that I don’t think many of them are as strong as they think they are.

Which leads me, in a very long winded way, to my question:

Can you recommend any good books specifically written towards powerlifting meet prep or any other resources that have your approval? I am sure there is a ton of shit out there, I just need to get pointed in the right direction.

Sincere thanks for taking the time to read this and for what you and the other coaches on this forum do.

Besides Defying Gravity, I don't know. We'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Besides Defying Gravity, I don't know. We'll ask.
    As you can see, my ignorance is showing. This looks good, I will pick it up.

Thanks Coach.

Wendler has written a fair take on the subject in his book 531 for Powerlifting. http://store.jimwendler.com/ProductD...ode=531PLebook

I don't do ebooks, because of my latent Cro-Magnon DNA. I need bound paper to hold in my hands. He covers equipped and raw training as well as pre-meet preparation for both. Even with that he dealt with twice a week programming for old farts like me.

Great story! Good luck!

congratulations, i'm sure you will do great.

Defying Gravity is about as good as it gets when it comes to meet prep. Fun read too.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    minor hijack: are you at OTC? its awesome to see mary's progress, and its always amusing to read people low bar questions and concerns on instagram.
    No, I didn't make the trip out there. She is out there by herself for a two week camp prior to the last chance qualifier (in St Louis) for the Pan Am Games.

You are going to have to reprogram her when she gets back. It will be traumatic.

starting strength coach development program
    Hahah she'll be sticking with my program at the OTC...low bar, deadlift, press, bench, etc even if it shirks the norm out there. USAW announced yesterday that the USA gained a spot (based on a miscalculation of team slots) in the Pan Am Games which gives us 3 females on the team, Mary being the third female. She'll have to defend her spot on May 2nd in St Louis, so we'll see how it goes. A lot of stiff competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast