starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Questions

Question Squat Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip!

I've been doing lots of strength training through the last couple of years I feel like I have to be somewhat cautious because I've had a previous lower back surgery for a herniated disc (over 13 years ago however). Anyway I've been working on improving my squat and took a video the best I could on my own anyway. This is with close to the max weight I've tried so far. Please let me know how I can improve and how tentative I should be because of that previous surgery but very few problems since.

Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9...R0bllPb1BEYTA/

Your grip is too wide, the bar is too high on your back, you're not standing erect between reps, your stance is too wide, and you're only deep enough on maybe rep #3. The bar position is the only one I'm remotely worried about regarding a 13-year-old back surgery. Have you actually read the book?

Yeah, follow the video guidelines.

You're not squatting deep enough and your grip is terrible. Read the book or watch some of rippetoe's vids.

Your second video doesn't look any different than your first one.
    1. Narrow your grip.
    2. Narrow your stance (feet shoulder width apart).
    3. Stand all the way up.

I think your depth may have been a little better on the second video but the other problems remain. Have you read the book or not? Ditch the mirrors. They are always a distraction.
    Last edited by carson; 04-19-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Of course I've read it! I've read it, highlighted it, follow it between sets, but it's so easy to read and picture what you should do much more difficult to put into practice without actually seeing yourself. Because I'm not supposed to be looking in the mirrors which I try not to do. As for my grip...not much going to improve the width of the grip due to rotator cuff issues...I stretch tons it's just a problem I've had since high school sports and I'm in my 30s now. The mirrors aren't going anywhere because my gym has the squat racks right there. Here's a video I took today. I tried to narrow the stance some, lower the bar as much as I could. Thoughts...and be helpful but nice folks. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by hollyrh View Post
    Of course I've read it! I've read it, highlighted it, follow it between sets, but it's so easy to read and picture what you should do much more difficult to put into practice without actually seeing yourself. Because I'm not supposed to be looking in the mirrors which I try not to do. As for my grip...not much going to improve the width of the grip due to rotator cuff issues...I stretch tons it's just a problem I've had since high school sports and I'm in my 30s now. The mirrors aren't going anywhere because my gym has the squat racks right there. Here's a video I took today. I tried to narrow the stance some, lower the bar as much as I could. Thoughts...and be helpful but nice folks. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9...ew?usp=sharing
    Put the rungs and bar on the other side of the squat rack. So you're facing out into the gym. I will let others solve the mechanical problems in the squat. But it is possible to use that rack and squat not facing the mirror.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Dammit, beat me too it! .
    My wife says that way too often. But I digress...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast