starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question from a Newb

Default Question from a Newb

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First post. Been reading and doing SS for just over a month. Haven't lifted really since high school, so the simplicity is tremendously helpful. Still using phase 1, as it fits me perfectly. More on that later... Heres my question.

Started program really light to work on form and to mind my hips. I knew they needed some care to stay healthy after some issues. First recorded worksets were 95 squat, 115 bench, 135 deadlift.

Today: 155 squat, 95 press (140 bench), 185 deadlift

Here's my two part question: last week I had a workout interrupted and went back a couple of hours later. Didn't finish squats, but the rest was good. Repeated the same squat weight next workout (150). Last two workouts were 155 squats both with incomplete reps, although today was only missing one on the first workset because I felt a little tweak in my knee.

Questions
    1. should I progress another 5lbs per workout at this point or repeat a time or two before progression? I don't yet have an interval less than 5lbs on the barbell.
    2. My deadlift has progressed better, but should I slow that if the squats are slowing? or should I continue to progress on DL separately, even if the margin gets wider?

Hope I'm in the right place for this question.

Missing some info here that would probably best be answered with a video. Take a video of yourself squatting. Don't allow yourself to miss reps. Don't artificially hold back your deads, either. A big deadlift is the mark of a gentleman and a scholar.

I posted one a couple of week ago. Apparently, I've got some reading to do before I post another, unless you think it'd be ok to post a link here maybe?

I only missed one rep, and that was on work set 1 of 3 that day because I felt something give in my knee. Since then, hit every rep. I'm just a little wary of progressing too fast on weight and risking injury.

So my immediate question is this. I cannot progress in increments of less than 5 lbs. (working on some small plates to take to gym with me) Is it ok to progress every other workout on squats and still every workout on deadlifts? Is that work set weight gap widening a problem?

Dave, I am missing all kinds of info here that would be important to answer your question. Are you 25 years old or 65? How tall are you? What do you weigh?

Oh yah. Haven't finished my profile.

42. 5'8". 215lbs.

Well yeah! Guess I should go finish my profile. 42. 5'8". 215.

Here's a link to see today's squats. http://youtu.be/-4Nzioy1qbU

165 lbs. I did progress! Can't really see bar position. Back angle next time maybe. Thighs are past parallel, but maybe not much. Very difficult to get a good camera angle in there. I think this was my last work set.

As of Wednesday morning, my last post hasn't been approved yet, but I'm reducing my squat weight by 10lbd from last workout. Hip pain and my gut just says, "ok stupid, don't be stupid today, stupid."

Scratch that last one. Squat weight reduced and one work rep at 155. Hurts. CCCRRRRAAAAAPPPPP!!!!!

Your knees are sliding forward at the bottom, which may be bothering your hips. Get them in place by half way down. Get tighter. You are wiggling a fair amount. Squats should not be comfortable or relaxed.

I can tell you that a 155 pound squat for a 215 pound man is not the end of the line. I have a woman trainee who weighs 115 pounds. Back in December she could not squat while maintaining her balance. She squatted 155 for 3x5 last week and pulled 225 for five. She is five feet tall even. You've got more in the tank.

starting strength coach development program
    Well you can probably tell from the video that I'm not an athletic or muscular 215. I know I'm not at the end of the line, but I also know that I have to listen to what my body tells me and not push too hard, too far, too fast.

As for the knees, I see what you mean, but it sure feels like they're back. Next video, Im going to shoot the lower portion of my stance. Can I post that here, too?

Ran today and I'm heat-padding and Ibuprofening tonight. Hopefully I can squat 165 again tomorrow. Didn't even deadlift on Wednesday. I want that back. Bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast