starting strength gym

Thread: DL Check

Default DL Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for taking a look coaches. I've run LP per the book the last two months moving my squat from 185 to 275 lbs. DL is up to 315 last work set.

I've started to develop this nagging localized lower back pain on my right side. Never had back pain before so I figure I'm doing something wrong with my lifts. Had to take a light day my last workout because of this, trying to work though the pain per Rip - it helps. I've had my squat looked at before and you all didn't see any issues. I'm wondering if my DL is causing problems. I have felt that my DL isn't progressing as nicely as the squat, I'm grinding to get 5lbs per week while the squat has been going up 15lbs per week without too much trouble.

Here is my DL while working though back pain. It is 185x5 because that is what my back could handle.

The first rep looks good to me, but seems the lumbar starts rounding in the later reps. Is the solution here to just stay tight, do step #4 better? Any input is appreciated.

These look OK. Rock your weight back slightly as the last step before you pull. I suspect that at higher weights you're not keeping the bar close, especially as the bar passes your knees. That may be the source of your problems. At the top of your deadlift, your shorts should be all bunched up behind the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    These look OK. Rock your weight back slightly as the last step before you pull. I suspect that at higher weights you're not keeping the bar close, especially as the bar passes your knees. That may be the source of your problems. At the top of your deadlift, your shorts should be all bunched up behind the bar.
    I'm not sure what voodoo you used to know I wasn't keeping the bar close as the weight got heavier, but I was able to pull heavy (for me) again and focused on staying back during the lift. I could feel a big difference. Thanks for the advice.

We've got eyes everywhere.