starting strength gym

Thread: Waist measurement (stupid question)

Default Waist measurement (stupid question)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just rereading To Be A Beast and ran across this: I’d want an accurate waist measurement taken right at the level of the umbilicus, as his waist size should be going down slowly but surely.

I'm starting to track calories/macros and would like to track this, but how do you measure this? Between when I'm sucking it in, when I'm standing relaxed but slightly at attention so it's not sagging, or when I'm rocking out with my belly out, and it's like a six inch span.

I used to measure 'standing normally' but now I suspect this is too easy to influence results over, sucking it in just a bit more to get a better number. I'm leaning towards letting it hang out as far as possible, as that should objectively go down with time.

Standing upright with good posture, use a Gulick tape measurer to get a measurement. Sucking in or pushing out would make the data less useful IMO.

For what it's worth I go with "relaxed". So I have a touch more lumbar extension than when standing normally. I take a deep breath and then slowly exhale until my lungs are comfortable "empty" and then take the relaxed measurement. I find it easiest to be consistent this way.