starting strength gym

Thread: Training with foot drop

Default Training with foot drop

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am trying to recruit a work colleague to train with in the upcoming weeks. He is in his mid-forties and is an avid hiker. He is in great physical shape and condition, but has foot drop from a knee reconstruction from about 10 years ago. He went through nerve graphs to try and fix the problem, with no success. He hikes at 25+ miles a clip and does unilateral exercises like lunges and step-ups. My question is, are there any precautions I should take with him by putting him under a bar? I know that I can get him in safe positions and coach him through the lifts, but will the nerve damage hinder his ability? Thanks for the help.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I'd say the recommendation should be the same as for anyone else. Start light and with good form and progress slowly and consistently. We're not loading people with double bodyweight on their first day, so the movements serve to not only get strong, but as an assessment of what can and can't be done. At least initially.