starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Form Check - Lower Back Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Couple things. Lock your upper back in extension and lift your chest hard especially as you approach the bottom. Also shove your knees out hard as you approach the bottom. It's time for a belt, too. You're almost there. These really aren't too bad, but the belt will get you tighter and give you some confidence. Seriously. It'll be like the first time you put on proper shoes.

Awesome thanks Nick.

So you think the wider stance shown in the last video is the right way to go?

And the 'lift your chest cue' is meaning to arch the upper back moreso than to change the angle between the back and the hips?

I'll get on getting a belt too. More gadgets for the gym!

Do you think I should stay at 110kg until the above issues are fixed, or go back to a LP from 110kg? Prior to this all I as doing TM and got to 130kg on ID, but I don't think I could go right back to that!

Yes on all accounts. I just now realized how unclear my chest comments were. It may be a good idea to lighten up a bit, get things fixed and work your way back up.

So I went with 100kg yesterday morning. I don't know man, I'm thinking the whole time 'arch and lock yr upper back' and the dang thing just doesn't hold!
    I think I have a similar issue when setting up to deadlift. Try as I might to arch my upper back before the pull (so to speak, I think it is called rotating the chest in the book?) my back barely moves.
    Video is here: https://youtu.be/O6UwFJldcGI
    3x5, first two sets from the front 45°, final is side on. It is angled a bit high so apologies.

Just put an order in for a belt, should be here in time for the next session. I guess I'll see how that goes?

Yeah, your upper back is still rounding. Think of pinching your shoulder blades together a little more to see if that provides some extra help.

Hey Nick & Tom.

Belt arrived yesterday, had a go with it this morning. Seemed to help, or something has improved. To me at least, looking at the video I'm no longer rounding my upper back. I did 100kg for 3x5 again.

Video is here: 15 05 20 SQ - YouTube
    (video currently uploading, should be viewable in ~ 30 minutes)

You'll see me narrow my stance slightly 2 reps into the third set, still getting used to this wider stance.
    Also I'm still getting this feeling of my backside shooting backwards as soon as I start the upward part of the movement. Thinking about putting my butt back at the top doesn't seem to be stopping the feeling this time, although I may be sliding forward on the way down? Maybe it is not an issue, I'm not sure.

If you think the form is looking better, I think I'm right to start upping the weight again. What do you think? Probably switch back to a 4 day LP split. At least until I get back closer to where I was before all this (and hopefully a bit further before stalling!) Looking at a few threads on here it seems I may have switch from LP to TM early and mistakenly blamed my stalls on the program when it was possibly more so related to sleep + diet.

That's a whole lot better, mate. Be more intentional with your knees. Set them early - forward and OUT - then sit back the rest of the way. .

Good to hear it is improving! Your help is much appreciated.
    I have been trying to focus on getting my knees out, but they definitely come in as soon as I start the upward part of the squat. The whole thing feels better than it used to, but still feels a bit unstable, like I'm changing too much on the way up. Depth seems to vary too! Still too heavy?
    Two videos, one from last Tuesday
    105kg x 3 x 5 : https://youtu.be/5yb6h07r624
    First set front 45°, Second and Third Set Side on

This one from this morning:
    110kg x 5 x 5: https://youtu.be/bGmNEfBADpI
    Did 5x5 as I figured I could probably use the volume. Think I'll try for 5x5 LP for now. Despite the form issues I wasn't too gassed by this.
    First two sets side view, third front 45° ish, fourth front on (unfortunately quite cropped) and fifth set side view again.

The front view in today's 4th set makes the knees caving in on the way up really obvious. Direct link to this: https://youtu.be/bGmNEfBADpI?t=113
    Now I was definitely thinking of pushing my knees out but obviously I cannot achieve this.

starting strength coach development program
    Careful you don't go too far into overthinking territory. These look pretty good. You can try varying your stance just a little. Like a half inch, if that, and see if it feels any better.

You do need to lean over a bit more at the bottom. You'r back angle could be a bit more horizontal. Control your knees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12