starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Squat Bar Technique?

Default Safety Squat Bar Technique?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Folks,

Is there a general consensus WRT to safety squat bar technique?

I've searched far and yonder, and haven't anything satisfactory (most reading material is related to the SSB box squat). I'm interested in handle position, foot width and depth.

I originally switched to it after no longer being able to HBBS, and having general t-spine weakness. I now use it as a supplemental lift; my comp squat is HBBS, and my comp DL is SDL.

Personal video below. I originally started these with lifting shoes; I switched to flats for comfort, after lifting shoes seemed to push me forward into my knees.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
    Is there a general consensus WRT to safety squat bar technique?
    It has more in common with a high bar squat than a low bar squat.

I've searched far and yonder, and haven't anything satisfactory (most reading material is related to the SSB box squat). I'm interested in handle position, foot width and depth.
    Foot width would be the same as for a normal squat and anything below parallel works. You won't get quite the same stretch reflex that you would from low bar, but as long as it is below parallel, you are fin. Where you grip the handles will be dependent upon your shoulders and how much they hurt. So, it all depends. Very definite answers, eh?

I originally switched to it after no longer being able to HBBS, and having general t-spine weakness.
    You've posted about this before, correct? Remind me, or link to your other post, if you could.

my comp squat is HBBS, and my comp DL is SDL.
    You have my sympathies.

Your video looked fine. I don't have really anything to correct. Since a SSB tend to be more like a high bar, extra moment is applied to the knees. That is not unexpected.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 05-17-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post

Foot width would be the same as for a normal squat and anything below parallel works. You won't get quite the same stretch reflex that you would from low bar, but as long as it is below parallel, you are fin. Where you grip the handles will be dependent upon your shoulders and how much they hurt. So, it all depends. Very definite answers, eh?
    Haha - no problem.

You've posted about this before, correct? Remind me, or link to your other post, if you could. You have my sympathies.
    I may have. Summary: I have functional scoliosis and some imbalances due to upper-crossed syndrome. I stated "no longer able to HBBS" in the original post above, but I mis-typed. I'm no longer able to LBBS. I LBBS'd for years, and over time developed spasms in the rhomboid region on my left side, which seemed to be aggravated by the compressive pressure of the bar on the area. I trained in pain for a very long time; both Hanley and Michael Street were present for much of it. Hanley suggested trying the SSB @ Riley Athletics, which allowed me to squat without pain.

I would occasionally LBBS with no luck. I could make it a session or two (usually PR weight, which was nice) before the spasms would return. After training personally with Jordan in February, we decided to scuttle LBBS in favor of HBBS. I've been squatting entirely without pain since then.

Jordan still programs SSB as a supplemental lift, to help strengthen my thoracic region. My only concern with the lift is I tend to roll my shoulders/chest forward at very high weights, which seems pretty common. I tend to call a top set when this occurs. I've also switched from lifting shoes to flat soles (chucks, vans, etc.), which seems to help.

Your video looked fine. I don't have really anything to correct. Since a SSB tend to be more like a high bar, extra moment is applied to the knees. That is not unexpected.
    Thanks for the feedback - I'll proceed forward as usual.

Some people's shoulders just cannot accommodate the low bar position. Go forth in sin.

just my two cents:
    SSB seems more in between a front squat and HBBS . . .IMO anyways.
    So therefore, some decent lifting shoes might help (raised heel).

(. . . see if a SSC cares to comment. . . )

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    just my two cents:
    SSB seems more in between a front squat and HBBS . . .IMO anyways.
    So therefore, some decent lifting shoes might help (raised heel).

(. . . see if a SSC cares to comment. . . )
    I've used lifting shoes (.6" and .75" heel) and flat soles for SSB. I've come to prefer the latter.

Jordan still programs SSB as a supplemental lift, to help strengthen my thoracic region. My only concern with the lift is I tend to roll my shoulders/chest forward at very high weights, which seems pretty common. I tend to call a top set when this occurs. I've also switched from lifting shoes to flat soles (chucks, vans, etc.), which seems to help.
    I've used a SSB a fair amount. Push up on the handles with your hands as you come up. This helps lock your upper back tight.

Some people's shoulders just cannot accommodate the low bar position. Go forth in sin.
    I hope I am not hyjacking your thread.
    Tom, I am in the camp that no matter what I do to gain flexibility in my shoulders, the low bar position is very uncomfortable. In order to relive some of the discomfort I find myself with a very wide grip to the point where my hands touch the power rack uprights. I don't want to give up on LBS. I' can HBS well (bw 161, 1rm 340) Is this a problem that will eventually get better with continued stretching or more of a structural issue that will not?
    Thanks in advance Tom
    Travis, I will gladly move my inquiry to another thread if you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    I hope I am not hyjacking your thread.
    Tom, I am in the camp that no matter what I do to gain flexibility in my shoulders, the low bar position is very uncomfortable. In order to relive some of the discomfort I find myself with a very wide grip to the point where my hands touch the power rack uprights. I don't want to give up on LBS. I' can HBS well (bw 161, 1rm 340) Is this a problem that will eventually get better with continued stretching or more of a structural issue that will not?
    Thanks in advance Tom
    Travis, I will gladly move my inquiry to another thread if you say so.
    Some people's shoulders do not accommodate the low bar position. Without seeing you, all I can say is if you are hurting maybe you need to move the bar up higher, maybe not.

starting strength coach development program
    Is there a way to replicate the low bar squat with the safety squat bar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast